Customer reviews

on 25 April 2013
Hats (mostly beanie-type), scarves, socks, gloves, bags and baby knits - it was perhaps unrealistic of me to hope to be sent into orbit with the imaginative content of this book. There are a few patterns for more unusual items (his and hers shower soap bag, knitted cheque book cover for example), the nicest of which is the necklace on the front cover. I shall be making a few of those. Some of the items are very attractive but to call them 'wonders' is a bit misleading or perhaps it's all in the eye of the beholder!
on 28 April 2017
Fantastic book. Lots of interesting things to make that will not tale long!
on 3 December 2007
My shelf of small-project books gets a lot of action, but who can resist a new knitting book? I leafed through a friend's copy of 101 Designer One-Skein Wonders and decided I had to have my own copy.

All the projects are displayed in color photos at the front of the book rather than with the patterns, a feast for the eyes and the imagination; I like browsing the projects all together. This is a familiar look from Storey Publishing and it helps to keep the price very reasonable.

The patterns are laid out clearly and with a lot of detail, possibly more detail than an experienced knitter wants but excellent for the less experienced. Nowadays, however, most knitters prefer to see charted patterns and it would be great to see charts in future One-Skein Wonders editions.

Yarns are specified but it will be easy enough to find projects for my precious skeins. Given that you can only do so much with a single skein, there is a surprising variety here. I have several projects tagged for my "take-along knitting." A few that caught my eye are the alpaca hand warmers, a mini-purse, the lace beanie, and Kat's Hat. I'm not sure which baby sweater to knit first, Blue Wave or Feather and Fan. There's a very pretty Three Season Lace Vest that looks wonderful. As for Elizabeth's Perfect Hat, what's more beautiful than Noro Silk Garden? but it would be great in other variegated worsteds as well.
on 9 January 2010
Despite waiting ages for it to arrive when it did finally within an hour of receiving the book I had marked off the items I wanted to knit ,and today completed a neck warmer clear easy instructions,quite a lot of diffrent things to knit and they dont take too much wool .A great book for someone who is a bit experienced
but dont lose heart there is plenty of help in the back of the book only one thing make sure you use the right weight of wool , double check the yardage and remember American wool is different to ours
on 5 December 2008
What I love about this book is the way it's organised. All the pictures are at the front, and even more brilliant, they are divided up into wool weights, which makes finding a pattern for your stash really easy. The projects themselves are great; I'm supposed to be having this book for Christmas, but after a quick glance through (to make sure everything was OK?!!) I found myself wanting to knit NOW!!
Thank goodness Christmas is less than three weeks away, as I can't wait to get at it!!! I think I might be wanting her other One Skein Wonders for my birthday, which is fortunately just after Christmas.....!
on 19 November 2007
If you liked 101 One-Skein Wonders you will love this. There are several patterns I already have on my must make list. Great selection of patterns for gifts or to use up those odd skeins of yarn. I find it slightly easier to use this book as the photos are at the front rather than middle. Definitely one for the collection.
on 6 May 2010
This is a great book, well put together and clear instructions on where to find the patterns. I've marked several projects and I've knitted quite a few things from this book, in it is a great stash buster. Good idea to check the yarns on ravelry, then you can work out a suitable subsition re: yardage etc. This is a must have for knitters. Can't recommend it enough, and I am a very experience knitter - I love it.
on 20 August 2010
I bought this when I just started knitting again and have found it a great inspiration. As many of the projects use only a ball or two of yarn it is a great way to experiment with new yarns (I never use the ones suggested) and learn new techniques such as cables, lace knitting, felting. I have so far made a vest, bag, 2 hats and probably more I have forgotten. There are also a small number of crochet projects which is good because I love that too!

The instructions are very clear with good pictures. I would have liked more information on substituting yards, i.e. is the yarn suggested 4 ply, aran weight, etc. as the point is that these projects should use up your stash.

"One-skein" is stretching the truth rather. There are projects in here where 1 skein is actually a 500g cone! Nonetheless it is a very good book and I recommend it.
on 5 July 2010
I have a lot of stash - and i feel guilty about it. I also really like mittens and fingerless gloves and hats, so - simple solution was to buy a book of patterns and knit up my leftover wool into useful accessories. This book has great reviews but i cant see why. The hats and gloves are all so similar in style and rather old fashioned, I like the idea of sorting the patterns into wool type which makes the using leftover wool idea easier but the designes themselves are uninspiring to me and the patterns do not appear to be that easy to follow although i havnt tried one yet. Plus there are too many kids patterns in my view, I have grown up kids and dont know any little ones so half the patterns are useless to me automatically. I am disappointed by this book.
on 17 April 2011
This is a great little book but unfortunately had to return it as although it has a different title it is exactly the same as Yarn Stash wonders.