on 18 January 2018
a gift for a pal who's a keen knitter & has a new boyf - she was thrilled and roared with laughter - result!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 January 2008
I got this book because I am a knitter and I wanted some things that I could enjoy knitting for my man, that weren't sweaters.
I was disappointed to find that this pattern book is one which assumes that at the beginning of the book you can only manage garter stitch, with the first pattern being a set of 4 garter stitch squares that you are supposed to use as coasters. I don't need a book to tell me to knit garter stitch squares, I want something interesting to knit. The patterns increase in difficulty/complexity throughout the book.
From the title I had (oddly enough) thought that this book wouldn't have any sweater patterns in it but it has two jumpers, a cardigan and two vests (tank tops).
The consolation prize is that in the middle of the book there are some nicer patterns for gloves and socks, which aren't too boring, but aren't sweaters either. The patterns, while (like many american books) specifying particular yarns to use, also give the gauge and recommended needle size from the ball band, making it easy to substitute yarn.
A last unfortunate detail is that the book is a little sexist: on one of the sock patterns "remember to tell him (repeatedly) not to put these socks in the washer or drier"
Maybe I wouldn't mind if I wasn't disappointed with other aspects of the book, but that last little thing just grates on my nerves a little.