on 15 May 2017
Buy this you won't ever need another ice cream recipie book
on 23 April 2017
I love my husband about 500% more now he makes me ice cream from this book. Unfailingly brilliant. No way am I going back to store bought...
on 18 July 2017
Inspirational. Every recipe is prefaced by a story of how Lebovitz developed the ice cream or what inspired him. Plenty of recipes for extras like cones, cookies and toppings too. They are not wrong when they call this The Ice Cream Maker's Bible.
on 15 January 2011
Do not buy this book if you are on a diet, or if you might go on one soon...

The book truly is full of utter deliciousness! I bought it recently, along with an ice-cream making attachment for my Kenwood, so I was/am a total beginner in the world of making ice-cream. This book has everything that I was looking for:

- a solid introduction detailing how ice-cream is made, how the different ingredients work together, plus tips and tricks etc.
- A wealth of recipes, that really do work, from the basic to the more esoteric
- Engaging writing

There really is every type of recipe in here, from far from 'bog-standard' vanilla and chocolate etc, to the literally sublime chocolate-peanut butter. Mmmmm!!
There is also a chapter on sorbets and sherbets, another on Granitas, and finally Sauces and Toppings and then Mix-Ins.

I cannot say I have made much of a dent in all the recipes form this book...just counted, there are 73 recipes in the ice-cream chapter alone! And that is not including the sorbets, granitas etc. But everything I have made has been easy for a beginner to understand, and has really worked. And has been delicious.

Despite my addiction to buying cookbooks, I genuinely won't need nor buy another ice cream book.
on 22 July 2009
This is a sensational book. I have a couple of other cookbooks on icecreams but this is the best, hands-down.

It contains an almost overwhelming number of recipes (for icecreams, sorbets, other frozen desserts and other elements to serve alongside like sauces, cookies etc). It has great photography, the author is warm and informative, based on straightforward ingredients.

So far I have made the vanilla frozen yoghurt, the strawberry frozen yoghurt and the vietnamese coffee ice cream. All 3 have worked perfectly - the vietnamese coffee icecream, in particular, was the best coffee icecream I've ever tasted.

The only teeny negative point I can think of is the text lacks a bit of the cheeky, outrageous tone you get from the author's blog. But that's it. I now want to buy every other book David has written!
on 19 July 2013
I have been making ice cream a while now and have mainly used online recipes and recipes from cheap books. Since I started to get good at making it I researched some ice cream books on amazon and this book got an incredible average customer review so I thought I would give it a try. Unfortunately, many of the recipes I have tried have been very disappointing! Some recipes turn out well whilst others consistently turn out terrible. For instance, the coffee frozen yogurt never works even if you use fresh espresso! Moreover, this recipe (and many others) are so brief for such an expensive book - they literally say chuck the ingredients together in a bowl and freeze in your ice cream maker; there are more descriptive recipes than this on google! Some recipes are good but for me these are heavily outweighed by the many mediocre recipes and expensive price of the book!
on 15 May 2012
A great cookbook. I was so impressed with it that I have bought it as a gift for a friend. I have a simple ice cream maker, the type where you freeze the bowl before you use it. When I first used the book I had never made ice cream before.
The recipes are varied, simple and easy to follow. Try the cinnamon ice cream as an alternative to vanilla - its delicious.
on 18 February 2012
I bought this book after reading many of the existing reviews.
My expectations were high and they were not disappointed. The recipe for Chocolate sorbet turned out to be superb - the chocolate sorbet turned out creamy with a lovely strong taste of chocolate. I used the very best cocoa I could buy. I have also made lemon ice cream which was fine but next time I will try the lemon sorbet. When the fresh fruit comes back in season I'm looking forward to trying some of the fruit ice creams and sorbets. The book is beautifully written and the recipes easy to follow. Indeed A Perfect Scoop in every way.
on 17 January 2012
Recently my mum bought an ice cream maker and I bought her this book after seeing a recipe featured on the bbc food website by the author which looked fab.

This book certainly did not disappoint, there are some stunning recipes and I'm thinking of buying a 2nd copy for our house. The instructions are well written and the photography is great, but moreover the recipes are stunning.

Very very happy!
on 17 November 2015
Brilliant, well balanced, well-tested recipes. Haven't found a dud one yet. I get rave reviews from my friends for the finished ice cream. Clear instructions with ingredients in UK friendly units. Beautiful photography and a well made sturdy hardback book printed on quality paper. Great present for someone who likes ice cream.

The book contains separate recipes sections for ice creams, sorbets and sherbets, and granitas and really interesting recipe sections at the back for sauces (e.g. caramel sauce), mix-ins (e.g. chocolate truffles) and containers (e.g. cone batter recipes). I haven't tried many of the sorbet or granita recipes, partly because sorbets and granitas don't keep that well in the freezer.

The chatty preamble to each recipe is engaging and fun to read though you can always skip straight to the straightforward and clear instructions if you're not interested. Good introduction to cooking techniques at the start though it doesn't cover the history or theory of ice cream as much as some other books.

For me the only weakness of this book is that the ice cream recipe section mostly focusses on the classic ice cream 'base' of 1:1 double cream:milk recipes thickened by cooking to a custard with egg yolks. Egg custards are a bit fiddly to make though it gets much easier with practice and a good temperature probe (e.g Heston Blumenthal by Salter Precision Instant Read Digital Thermometer, Pack of 1, Silver). I find that chucking the egg yolks directly into the cold mixture and gradually heating while stirring gets just as good results as the fiddly egg yolk tempering method so that simplifies the cooking a fair amount. After a fair bit of experimentation with other bases I can safely say that egg thickened ice cream is by far my favourite type of ice cream and the type that keeps best in the freezer for weeks or months. So for me, focussing on egg recipes isn't really that much of a weakness. It's well worth the extra effort.

There are a few non-egg ice cream recipes such as cheesecake, pear-caramel, peanut butter, chocolate sorbet, sherbets, roasted banana and philadelphia style ice creams to give you some ideas but they're in the minority. You could also adapt the egg recipes to other bases but results can vary quite a lot. See the Ice Cream Nation web site for discussion about ice cream bases (http://www.icecreamnation.org/category/base-recipes/)

There are quite a few recipes available for free on the author's great blog site if you want to try before you buy. Some are duplicates of recipes in the book, others aren't in the book at all. http://www.davidlebovitz.com/category/recipes/ice-creams-and-sorbets/ . If you google you can find copies of his recipes have been copied on various recipe blogs on the web but they're usually in US cup/oz etc. units. Even with all the content out on the web I still find this book is still a must have.

If you enjoy ice cream making then I can recommend getting a powered ice cream maker (e.g. Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker rather than the cheaper and fiddly frozen cannister type machine. The author used the previous Cuisinart model to test his recipes. With a powered ice cream machine you can churn directly from hot custard to frozen if you're impatient.

If you're using a frozen canister machine, make sure the cannister machine is completely frozen and that the mixture is really cold before churning. Unlike powered machines, you can't skip chilling the custard thoroughly with cannister machines, the results won't be good.

I can also recommend the Chocolate Trading Company (recommended in the book too) for bulk buying really high quality chocolate for making these recipes http://www.chocolatetradingco.com/.

FWIW I have no commercial connection to any of my recommendations, I'm just a happy customer.