VINE VOICEon 26 October 2013
There really are a lot of good, professional bread making books available, nowadays and this is definitely one of them. There are a good range of bread recipes in the book, several of which come from world beating bakeries, but the book, as the title suggests, is a training manual. This is not to say that the casual reader will not get a lot of good recipes and you could ignore much of the training information if you are a half competent bread maker; but this misses the point of the book. The Bread Maker's Apprentice is a book to read, to absorb the value of what is being taught and to learn, not merely to be a better bread maker, but to make bread to a very high standard, to develop "a feel for the dough." There is plenty of good advice and training out there - Paul Hollywood can be seen on iPlayer, for instance and there are countless youtube videos on technique and demonstrations of the bread making process - all of which is good. This book begins with the preparation, from the mise en place, the putting together of all the ingredients and equipment, to the preparation of the ferment and all of the things that make good bread extraordinary before you begin to form it and put it into the oven. There is a good back story to the book, including how the author wins a competition and spends a week visiting the bakeries of Paris, encounters Poilane and discovers Pain a l'ancienne, which becomes life changing. This is a book for real bread aficionados - no pretensions here, it really is for people who love the whole panoply of what it means to make good bread by hand and bake it to perfection.
4 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 17 January 2015
When i first bought this book I read the first few chapters straight away as they described in detail what was happening at each step from a scientific perspective which helped me to understand why the different processes are carried out.

Since then I have made a number of breads from this book with a good degree of success. I have also found that I use the knowledge and techniques that I learned in this book to improve my results in when using recipes from other sources

This book is really geared for the American market and so the recipes included have been chosen to fit that market, however there are a number of French recipes included which were the main reason I bought the book.

It is a little annoying that all the measurements are in American units however given that all the recipes are presented as a formula based on weight as a percentage of the total amount of flour it is relatively straight forward to scale up or down to suit any size of loaf.
3 people found this helpful
on 6 October 2017
Probably one of the best bread books out there. TBBA provides you with recipes to a many different types of bread and also equips you with the knowledge of bread baking. I have had it for a month but have been using it every day since as sach time I flip through the book I learn something new. His recipe to pain a l'ancienne is challenging at first but once you get the hang of it, you would want to bake it everyday! Can't wait to try the rest of his recipes. Would definitely recommend!
One person found this helpful
on 11 June 2017
Lovely bread bakers book, perfect for me.
One person found this helpful
on 27 May 2018
Another excellent book. Enjoyable working from.
on 1 April 2018
Although American based I enjoyed, and learned from this book.
I would recommend it to any one starting bread making!
on 10 May 2016
I didn't expect much of it at first, but after trying out some of the basic bread recipes I was blown away by how good the results were - matching my bakery's sourdough bread in looks and texture, and definitely better in taste. The book is also lovely to look at, is well written (no overy complex descriptions here) and has some entertaining stories that give each bread a history and background.
on 13 June 2013
This book has an American bias but is well worth reading if you want proper bread. The American bread revival seems to be a decade or so ahead that in Britain where traditional bakers have been driven off the high streets by cheap but inferior breads from supermarkets and the likes of Gregg's. If you want good bread than you should seek out whenever possible one of the few artisan bakers and support their business. However it is also fun to have a go yourself and this book will help you create breads superior to anything available in your supermarket.

Great bread needs time and effort. This book will give you much better results than the quickly risen books pushed out by Paul Hollywood and the like.
on 30 December 2011
Got it for my boyfriend that loves to make his own everything. He makes his own beer and bread when he can, even though he does not have a bread maker(yet)...he likes to bake and I miss the different breads we have at home, so I got him the book so he can improve on he's baker skills.
on 27 August 2016
It's for advanced bread makers in my opinion.