on 16 March 2014
I quite liked this book (Kindle edition) in that as I am training for my fourth marathon and not doing too well, it was reassuring to know that I am not the only one that suffers with the training and the monotony of it at times. It is a lighthearted approach to running a first marathon and I do not think it is seriously intended as a training guide. I don't agree with reviewers that she says its ok to run whilst taking Advil or Ibuprofen, she took it to get through the marathon in the face of ITB pain having completed the first 13 miles. I understand why she completed it regardless of pain as she was doing it for charity and the thought of wasting 16 weeks of training and disappointing not only herself but her sponsors was the spur. I did actually look up her finishing time (which she omits to state and seems very reluctant to talk about pace) which was 8.08 hours. I think to be on your feet for that amount of time in a hot climate and in pain is deserving of respect.
on 13 February 2011
I'm like the author in that I too am a non-runner though I reckon I could give her a run for her money in the couch potato stakes (shameful, I know). Her writing style may not be to everyone's taste but I enjoyed it, especially the bits about coming back from a Saturday run and lying on her kitchen floor to cool down and attempting to drink water while doing so (not a success). The serious runners may not like her tales of various mishaps but I think that they give encouragement to those who need a prod to get out of the armchair and do something they never did before. Go read!
on 30 August 2015
This one is going straight back on Amazon. How uninspiring to read a whinging account of not enjoying training, lack of enthusiasm or interest (why did she chose to run a marathon? If she wanted to raise money she could have hosted a coffee morning) all culminating in a total lack of success - she walked most of the course in tears. It's unlikely to get you in the mood for running and has no practical advice whatsoever.
on 26 February 2010
This book had made me realise that I can, despite not being the fittest person on the planet, I can with training run a marathon. This book gives you all the information that you need to know about clothing, trainers and all the practical stuff that most books only give a short mention to. Inspired by Dawn I have started blogging my jouirney from couch potato to running goddess! It has bceome my bible and a pick me up when I feel that it's impossible.

For training plans there are better books but for motivation this can't be beaten.
Thanks Dawn and I'll let you know how I get on!
on 24 December 2014
Laugh out loud funny. Not especially made to be a serious marathon plan but a really excellent read. Honest and real. Hilarious!
on 19 May 2010
Having read a few other books on running, this one was a breath of fresh air! All the other ones were very stuffy and well... boring!!! This one was funny, witty and full of sarcastic jokes! It gave you need to know info whilst also telling you it in a way that ANYONE could understand! With pieces of her journal and cartoons of stretches dotted about there was no way to lose interest! I read the whole book in two afternoon sessions!!!
Definately well worth a read!
on 14 August 2017
Excellent read. Funny and heart warmingly honest. An inspiration.
on 26 August 2017
Excellent, really gave me the motivation to start.
on 9 June 2010
Fairly entertaining but the humour is relentless and fairly contrived. Probably wouldn't have bought it if I'd seen it in a shop beforehand.
on 26 June 2010
I enjoyed every minute of this book!

Not a guide to do hardcore training with but enjoyable all the same!