Customer reviews

on 17 August 2003
I found this book to be interseting and inspiring. It is full of beautiful photos, with clear instructions, plus a lot of information on the supplies and tools needed to complete each book.
Whilst it is hugley inspiring, I found that the beginning level was far above that of a novice, it would have benefitted from some easier projects and a few more diagrams.
I wouldn't recommend this as a first book in bookbinding, but I'm sure it would be of great use to the more experienced book artist.
on 13 May 2011
I love this book! I'm not much beyond the beginner stage, but it has already given me a lot of useful ideas. If you are just starting and want to make some simple journals, books like Alissa Golden's may be a better choice, but if you want lots of ideas for making unique journals with personalised touches, this book will do that for you.

After short sections on materials, tools and basic techniques, the majority of the book shows wonderful custom-made journals by people like Daniel Essig. There are short statements from both maker and client about the brief for each journal, then detailed instructions for making a similar one. Although the instructions are clear, I am not likely to copy any of these journals. For me, the value of this book will be in taking ideas from various projects and adapting them for my own journal-making. Don't let the complexity of some of the examples intimidate you - sometimes the simplest ideas technically are the most effective, and this book has plenty of good ideas.

Although there is a chapter on using journals, its focus is very much on making them. If you don't want to do that, just learn about visual journaling, there are better books for you - I like Gwen Diehn's The Decorated Pageand The Decorated Journal, and Journal Spilling: Mixed-Media Techniques for Free Expression by Diana Trout.
on 4 April 2014
The item arrived in good time and was in good condition. However, it was not as I was expecting from the description and reviews - probably my mistake. I shall not be sending it back but I won't be keeping it.
on 14 August 2016
Pleased with all aspects of my order.
on 12 September 2013
another for my collection like I said before I studied hard and searched wide and long to get the right books for what I needed.