I bought this book for my wife as she loves baking but I thought this book might help her take her baking to `the next level'.

She is a very competent baker but not especially refined, having seen the Bouchon Bakery in Las Vegas she was inspired... and hence this book seemed perfect for her.

Some quick things to note about the book (which I've tried to explain in more depth below):

-It's a BIG book. Not too practical for the kitchen worktop
-Each recipe is richly illustrated with lovely photos, really helps you know what you're working towards
-Lots of information / recipe stories to read through should you want to
-Perfect for passionate and confident bakers / Thomas Keller fans, perhaps not for beginners or those looking for a quick and easy baking book
-All recipes have precise measurements in grams, but also American equivalents available too if using cups (although they do tell you to throw your measuring cups away!)
-There are notes on the majority of recipes for `professionals'

Firstly it's worth noting this book's size: it is very large and not especially practical if you wanted to use this in the kitchen and are limited on space.

The book is also fairly text heavy in places, with a lot of information but my wife is very passionate about food so has devoured this information with glee. It gives a lot of context not only to the recipes but also Thomas Keller's development and training as a baker, and passes some tips on along the way. Well worth the investment of time in reading I think if you want to get the most from this book.

I have uploaded a couple of images of typical recipe pages but in general they all have accompanying photos and are laid out in a very practical, easy to follow way. The images are so inspirational although they almost put my wife off doing some of them, thinking she wouldn't be able to achieve the same results.

My wife's favourite recipe by far is for the TKOs, we didn't have the special coco powder but the results were so very tasty, and if you like OREOs you will adore these.

All in all I would recommend this book for those with a real passion for baking / are fans of Thomas Keller and his Bouchon Bakery, perhaps not for those are looking for some basic bakery recipes.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
11 Comment| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 May 2017
Great coffee table book, very informative, great recipe's and explains what goes into great baking.

The recipes are fairly straight forward, though I have leaned on the more straight forward one's so it's been okay for me.

If you are a good baker, who wants to become great via better recipe's then give this book a whirl.
on 15 December 2014
I love this book it is great. It is huge and full of loads of recipes and we'll worth the money. I use the choux pastry recipe all the time
on 22 October 2014
Brilliant Book - first time making something from it and they turned out wonderfully. Incredible tips and delicious bakes.
on 13 March 2013
i loved the book ,i think one of the best i've bought in a long time. one slight drawback is its a huge book, heavy too. but having said that i would recomend it to anyone with a love for baking.
on 16 April 2016
I ordered this book twice and both were damage so sent them back- it is such a shame as the book looked amazing .
on 30 October 2015
I am a very keen baker in the UK and this is hands down one of the best baking books I have (and I have many!)

What sets this apart from many other baking books I have is that there are really clear instructions for each of the recipes. One of the things that frustrates me most with other recipe books is that they leave certain instructions ambiguous - and as baking is an exact science this always baffles me! Not with this book - Thomas Keller et al tell you what speed to put your mixer on (and what value that equates to on a Kitchen Aid), what precise shelves to put your biscuits/cake in and how long to mix something for in seconds. I have tried many recipes from this book and they have turned out fantastically and that is all down to the level of detail given.

It is also a fantastic book to look through with lots of creative ideas, peppered with tips throughout.

As an English baker I do have to convert a fair bit and try substitutes e.g. for cake flour but thus far have had no issues with this.

It is a little tricky to use the book itself to have alongside me when baking as it is quite hefty and takes up a lot of room on the counter, but usually I type out the recipe or photograph it.

If you are a keen baker I would highly recommend this book, you won't be disappointed!
on 22 April 2013
Wish I had got it sooner, beautiful photographs, amazing recipes and new tips on every page all this = one excited chef.
on 19 February 2013
Yes, this is a physically big book, and if you are looking for an introductory book, or a very complicated book, this isn't for you. However, this is a great book if you want to move on from the basics.

In terms of the recipes, there is a wide range of styles employed. The book covers cookies, macaroons, scones, muffins, cakes, sweets, pastries, breads and more. The instructions often look lengthy and complex, but that is partly because the book makes the effort to fully explain the processes involved.

Yes, it doesn't always give substitutes, but that reflects the more advanced nature of the book and there being some expectation of bakers being able to figure out a way if they don't quite have the right tools to hand (or being able to buy on The internet). Some of the measurements do look a little odd, but that comes down to two factors - first, as the book reflects, they are from larger quantities scaled down, but also because of the cup to gram translation. Most modern kitchens have digital scales so this shouldn't really be an issue - plus, this is about baking with accuracy.

I often rate my baking on how many people ask for the recipe -I've been overwhelmed from this book! Although many of the end products look simple, they taste truly delicious and get rave reviews - hence I have little choice but to give top marks for this!
on 18 October 2014
very nice book can be used in home kitchen as in professional !lots of recepies pictures !