Format: Hardcover|Change

on 27 November 2013
If you want to be SURE that you will get excellent results while trying out a recipe for the very first time, this is the cookbook to get. I assure you that it's built to give you perfect results every time. I have made over 8 recipes from it and they were ALL the best version I have tried. Though I must admit, the process may seem unnecessarily finicky to you if you were an experienced baker, but it's essential for a beginner to follow it to the T as it was written.
on 16 January 2013
First of all, it is a very heavy book, and it will be too big to use easily in most kitchens, as it is too big.

Secondly it is full of big pictures of Children and other things you really do not want from a working tool, which I believe a Book about Baking should be. The Pics take up place as well, and you really do not want to see other peoples kids stacking cakes or eating them.

Third, the text is small, and not in a Friendly reading lettering. Which is also irritating, if you keep looking in text or following a recipe. A lot of elderly ladies bake, and you definitely need your glasses if you do not have eyes like a hawk.

4the and this is very serious. The Baker uses Canola oil in a lot of things, and that made me really mad. How can a person who writes about excellent bakery recommend Canola Oil? I choose to bake, because I do not want any GMO or other kind of crap in my food. And it made me doubt if Thomas Keller knows what tastes good.
[...]
5th. How can TK make himself translate cups to grams making eggs weigh 83 grams? Baking Powder 2,2 grams, Kosher salt 0. 6 grams and when he tries to go from Cups to Grams, why can he not go from Fahrenheit to Celsius?

6th. Why change a Classic Florentine recipe to something else, and keep the original from us? And why add Glucose which is not readily available to most? And hard and messy to work with, when all you have to do is caramelize nuts and add a chocolate base?

7th Why use unsulfured black strap molasses and what the Hell is it?

It is a book which is just irritating because it is not a book for a professional baker and not for a housewife baker either.
All the pages and pages of pictures is just irritating for both the housewife and the baker. You have not bought a picture book of cakes, you want a book from a professional, so that you may make cakes as good as a professional.

I bought three books about baking this time. and How to Bake by Paul Hollywood was far the best one of them. I can in fact recommend it warmly. I just made the best Scones ever, from a description which was very easy to follow, and I can now compete with any of the best two bakeries in town, when it comes to Scones and I have tried a lot of Scones recipe's in my time. This one was the best ever.

Muffins should be made with butter, not Canola Oil. Coloring should be natural vegetable and fruit color if you really want to go that way, and not some artificial poison. And what is Unsweetened alkalized Cacao? Why not just natural Cacao, the best of course. And what again is Liquid Levain and Diastatic malt powder?

I cannot recommend this book at all. Go for anything else, something usefull.

I have found great joy and good recipe's from Richard Bertinet Pastry and his book about Bread are are just Gems. Paul Hollywood is as good as Bertinet, and I strongly recommend his books How to bake - Also.

The Book Bouchon Bakery, I do not understand the Stars, it must have been all his friends trying to help him sell this oversized, hard to use Book, with strange measurements and even stranger ingredients. It is not what I want from a Baking Bible, it want it to be easy to read, easy to handle, not fill up the whole kitchen table, and most important, not full of crap you would not eat, if you want to keep yourself healthy.

I can probably use some of the
1616 comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 March 2014
I have made three things the eclairs were lovely ,the short bread biscuits fantastic ,the brioche was a delight .i just need to perfect the shapes and sizes as per his instructions .The recipes are really easy to follow and come out just he says.The men are genius .i love the book too much.
on 24 December 2012
Great big coffee-table sized volume, which is pretty enjoyable to just read.
Loads of well written generic baking tips, to actually explain what/why you need to do things.
Recipes themselves are fantastic.

Only real quibble is the size of this thing. Size is lovely if you wish to browse through it, but you'll probably want a book-stand if you want to follow a recipe in the kitchen.
VINE VOICEon 24 December 2012
I have a lot of baking books. Some might say too many. But this is probably one of the best - if not THE best.

Yes, some of the ingredients are very specific - but I can work round that.

What this book offers is great text, amazing inspiration and some brilliant recipes.

It is a step up for most domestic bakers - I know I am probably never going to strain my eggs before using them - but I understand why this process is described!

It is one of those books you will go back to time after time after time. It is a pleasure to simply read - let alone to cook from.

It now has pride of place in my collection. And I cannot recommend it highly enough.
on 22 November 2012
Nice book but I have to be critical...for instance the american units and its converting made me lough...recipe for plain scones: all purpose flour 152gr(1 cup+ 1 1/2tbsp), cake flour 304gr(2 1/4cups + 2tbsp)... it seems that all purpose flour is heavier than cake flour... the next recipe of chocolate cherry scones proves that. In this recipe 2 1/4cups + 2tbsp of all purpose flour make 332gr. Why didn't he use just all purpose flour or just cake flour for scones recipe I don't know. Too complicated... I just really do not believe that with these kinds of recipes anyone would get familiar. I do not believe you would share these weird recipes with someone else with happines. It seems as well that you need for some recipes microscales.(baking powder 6,5gr, baking soda 4,5gr, kosher salt 2,2gr)..Recipe for large batch of pastry cream: besides the other things 666gr of whole milk and 100gr of custard powder... I think in this ratio the pastry cream would be very thick (there's usually used 1OOgr of corn flour per 1l of milk)...not speaking of being used of using recipes with 250gr, 500gr, 750gr...milk. I have to still find out why Thomas Keller is obsessed with using Kosher salt as most chefs with reminding us of using free range eggs. I'm quite happy Thomas wasn't a physicist. His equation of relativity would have been much much more difficult and complicated.
66 comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 August 2013
Excellent book, has easy to understand theory of baking and mouthwatering and full proof recipes.
The sourdough bread , is easy and tastes fantastic, their banana muffin is the lightest one I have ever tried.
It is worth every penny.
on 15 December 2014
I love this book it is great. It is huge and full of loads of recipes and we'll worth the money. I use the choux pastry recipe all the time
on 22 October 2014
Brilliant Book - first time making something from it and they turned out wonderfully. Incredible tips and delicious bakes.
on 13 March 2013
i loved the book ,i think one of the best i've bought in a long time. one slight drawback is its a huge book, heavy too. but having said that i would recomend it to anyone with a love for baking.