on 31 October 2014
Being mixed race Burmese, I was happy to find an extensive Burmese cookbook. I have tried several recipes from this book and so far, the salads have really impressed. They've been full of flavour and fairly easy to assemble.

However, I have also attempted two meat dishes (Saucy Spiced Meat and Warming Beef Curry) which have been very disappointing. The Warming Beef Curry came out like more of a stew - the recipe instructs you to marinade the meat in shallots etc, bung it in a pot with water and leave to cook. As with most curries, the flavour comes from cooking your onions and making a curry paste first which the recipe fails to adhere to. The Saucy Meat recipe tells you to cook the potatoes first and then add the meat. This means the meat isn't given enough cooking time to develop any depth of flavour. It feels like some of the recipes haven't been tested before being published.

I shall be picky about what I choose to cook from this book in future and may alter recipes based on my basic knowledge.
on 6 November 2014
A beautiful book full of fascinating information on the history and people of Burma, together with some delicious recipes. I travelled in Burma several decades ago and was subjected to nothing but what we dubbed 'bone curry' of various descriptions, but I knew there had to be more to the local cuisine than that.

I was travelling with my mother, who died a few years ago, and we both fell in love with the warm hearted and welcoming people as well as the stunning scenery and architecture. It was wonderful to see the photos of places we had visited and remember our time together. I am enjoying cooking the recipes and remembering good times as I do so, and I know my mother would have enjoyed the food too, she always had a good appetite and was willing to try anything new.

Thank you for the recipes, and the lovely memories.
on 3 November 2012
Bought this book as wanted some written recipes that would remind me of good old family cooking. The recipes are excellent, quite diverse (as in recipes from differnt areas/ tribes) and interesting, but what I REALLY liked was the author's commentary about her travels around Burma and the history of Burma that she included as well as some fantastic up to date pictures. It's almost a beautifully presented recipe book and travel guide in one! Made Rangoon Mohinga and probably should have made the plain one as am used to eating this as a clear broth; but is was still lovely. Would have liked a recipe for letho though :-(
BUY it and you won't be disappointed!
on 28 April 2017
I saw a mention of this book in another cookbook and I was curious so I bought it - It is fascinating and a lot of the recipes look really good - and fairly straightforward to make - once the weather gets warmer I think I will be using this book a lot
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 February 2013
The recipes called a bit too heavily for fish sauce over shrimp paste for my liking. It is my understanding, being of Burmese origin, that the vast majority of Burmese dishes require either shrimp paste or dried powdered prawns. Basically, this is good for Westerners looking to try Burmese dishes (which I guess most people buying this book will be).

The Burmese section in Charmain Solomon's Complete Asian Cookbook still trumps this although this makes a great companion as it has a lot more northern dishes.

Good for experimenting and trying out new stuff but I would go for Charmain Solomon first.
on 17 November 2012
Nice book, recipes look interesting some are illustrated. Only tried a couple so far and those turned out fine. Units in the recipes are pounds which we are all used to in cooking but it's a bit clumsy "about a pound", "1 3/4 pound", "2/3 cup chopped garlic", I just prefer grams as I am not a cook but it is not an issue. I will need to be in the mood to use the book but that is true as for most cooking. So on the whole, nice interesting but in truth not sensational nevetheless a useful addition to any cook book collection
on 30 January 2013
Apart from being a superb cookbook, this is a beautifully presented book with lots of delightful photos and description of Burma, its people and its food. I have tried a few dishes and found the recipes easy to follow. The writer knows how to translate an intricate recipe into a delicious meal. Often the writer leaves helpful little foot-notes for left-overs or alternative recipe ideas.
I'd love to try out peanut and rice porridge because it reminds me of congee breakfast when living in Hong Kong.
My summer dishes will be full of Far Eastern flavours, particularly Burmese...
on 11 May 2017
For a lovely diversion worth the effort. Once you make the condiments and have them on hand, the dishes are easy and rewarding. Haven recently been to Burma, I also loved the travel part of the book
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 December 2012
I'm impressed with the breadth and depth of this book. I'm Burmese and have been searching for good Burmese cookbooks since I never learnt to cook at home and long for some home flavours while now living abroad. All the recipes I've tried so far have produced authentic-tasting results. I am grateful for that fact that the author presents the recipes as they are meant to be rather than trying to adjust to an audience who might not be used to more exotic foods. Brilliantly done!
on 21 September 2013
Far too many type styles - distracting and difficult to read. I found the non-cooking content superficial and lacking content. It is amazing that there are so few Burmese language names for the menu dishes - why on earth omit them? The food photos are good and recipes look interesting and I will be attempting them but overall I found the book disappointing. I was expecting something with more personality and meat in the travelogue.