on 20 January 2015
I daren't look at this book too often as the collection of recipes is too mouthwatering. I've tried several and every one has been delicious. If I want to preserve my waistline this book has to stay on the shelf most of the time. It's a very good read too as far as explaining how to get the right texture you want from various types of biscuit.
on 21 May 2012
I came across Alice Medrich's book on an American food blog and I'm still thankful.After having made two cookies from the blog I knew this was a "must have" book. Yes, as others already wrote, more pictures would have been great and the American measurements makes a set of measuring cup a bare necessity, but don't let yourself be put off by this. I feel like Alice in Cookieland, when exploring (there's no better word) this book. Every cookie I made till now has turned out exceptionally good, but very different from the usual cookies. My husband, who's not quite a cookie lover, did love them all so far. Most recipes have updates given for other versions. So I find myself experimenting with different flours, spices, nuts etc. with great results. There are also many suggestions for making gluten-free or wholemeal versions of cookies. My favorite recipe (until now) is "Cafe Olla sticks". This elegant cookie with it's complex but subtle aroma of spices is something you would expect with your espresso in a good restaurant.
Instructions are very clear and you'll learn amazing simple new techniques.
There's one warning to be given.
Once hooked to this book, you'll want to discover all cookies. So mind your weight and don't tell me I didn't warn you.
Now I'm off, back to Alice's Cookieland. See you there ;-)
on 26 October 2013
i have a few cookie cookbooks and this one is the best by far... the recipes are so well laid out and they give loads of information on how to bake... perfect for whatever level you are at
on 22 February 2015
Not easy to translate the measures, very good recipes
VINE VOICEon 25 January 2011
I can hardly believe this book has not yet been reviewed... I suspect it will turn into a modern classic.

I am quite happy to give it the full 5 stars even though there are some flaws. Firstly there are not enough photos to show you the end results you can achieve - but I can forgive it for that. The ingredients are given in cups and imperial measures - but who can measure 2.625oz of anything? I shall stick to my cups for this one! I know some UK cooks are resistant to cups - so perhaps this is one you should avoid.

But if you did you would be missing a treat.

The recipes are broken down in sections - Chewy, Gooey, Crispy, Crunchy and basics. And there is plenty of ideas to tempt even the most jaded palette. I am particularly impressed with the additional tips that many of recipes contain - which can be technical, suggested alternative versions or just serving suggestions. This is great added value. There are also a number of lower fat and wheat-free options - so that should broaden the appeal.

Yes, it is an American book - but the ingredients look fairly standard so I would urge people to 'look inside' and be tempted. As I was!

This baking book addiction is getting serious!
on 10 March 2014
It has great detail but lacks the visuals to go with the recipes. I am a visual person so this book didnt meet my expected visuals.
on 21 January 2012
This book does not deserve to be given three stars just because of lack of photos, shape of the book or american measurements! Honestly, I own more than 200 books and 3/4 of them on baking, but I do think that Alice's recipes are very different from everything else, super delicious, all of them. If you don't happen to own her bestseller "Cookies and Brownies", this is a great alternative. P.S. 1 stick of butter is 113g.
on 27 August 2011
This is a big glossy book full of delicious recipes for cookies featuring all the usual suspects (brownies,blondies,choc chip cookies,graham crackers, lemon bars etc) and some new ones you may not have heard of. The recipes themselves are divine and the author is clearly experienced at baking, there are lots of useful tips in here and advice to help you along the way,however what could have been a great book is actually very average because of the lousy layout!
The book is a weird oblong shape so doesn't fit on the bookshelf neatly with all the others. It could have been condensed considerably if the publishers had bothered to fill all the pages, there is only writing on half of the page and there are only about 5 pictures in the entire book which i find inexcusable in a cookie book! They could have easily squeezed in a small photo of each cookie instead of just leaving half the page blank.

Some reviewers have complained about the cup measures but that doesn't bother me as i like using my cups and my young children who assist me find them so much easier. The author herself prefers to use weights and measures as they are more accurate but as this is an american book she has to go with the masses and use cup measures.

There are several variations on brownies, blondies and biscotti all of which are delicious and my personal favorites so far have been the Gooey Turtle Bars (basically caramel shortbread with pecans) peanut butter blondies and regular blondies with a shot of bourbon.

If i was basing this review on content alone, it would be 4 or 5 stars but as a complete package it only gets 3.
on 25 March 2011
Great book. Lots of recipes. Full conversion chart in the back, which is handy as it's US measurements mainly. All recipes are cups as well, though. Also has lots of top tips about ingredients, baking technique, equipment. Makes it easy enough for a novice to follow successful. I made, everyone loved.
on 21 March 2011
Such a shame that this book is really short on pictures. There's only 1 about every 5 recipes. Love how the book is divided into sections, but Martha Stewart's book (Cookies)Martha Stewart Cookies: The very best treats to bake and to share does this too, but with fabulous photographs for every recipe *and*, wonderfully, a photo for every recipe on the contents page. Please update presentation next edition!