on 5 September 2003
On this diet, which I've been on since May, I've lost 2 stone, never feel hungry - and I've lost the sweet tooth which was my downfall on all other diets I've tried! Dr. Agatston's diet works - it's a way of eating you can live with and not feel deprived: I recommend it to everyone.
0Comment| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 July 2017
I am a true convert to the South Beach way of life. I am only one week in, but it's really not difficult and I have lost 5 and a half pounds in one week. One reviewer claimed this is a dangerous diet. What is dangerous about eating lots of veg, fish and lean meats? The first phase does eliminate sugar, most carbs and alcohol, that's true, but it's not for some faddy accelerated weight-loss reason. It is all about balancing your blood sugars and eliminating your cravings for the bad carbs so that you inevitably instinctively eat more healthily thereafter. My boyfriend asked what the point is in the recipe book as it is similar to what we normally eat. The difference? We normally eat that stuff PLUS the bad carbs. This book has delicious meals in it and I am looking forward to cooking even more of them. Please try this if you want to lose weight. I haven't been hungry since I've been on this diet. What do you have to lose — besides all that weight!
on 26 September 2013
My partner and myself tried this and it DOES WORK. We both lost 3 stones (42 pounds) in weight and we have kept the weight off for over a year. It's harder for the first two weeks but I couldn't believe that I had lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks so it gave me the impetus to continue. I've never been slimmer, healthier, fitter or more active. Don't think about trying it - DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!
on 19 February 2015
Lost ~10kg within 6 months and 1 year later, I'm still able to maintain my weight without constantly counting calories or excessively watching what I eat. According to my GP, my vitals have also improved considerably.
Agatston's way of teaching you how to deal with your habits is amazing. You'll learn how to get used to a healthy, well balanced, "normal" diet that doesn't impose ridiculous restrictions on you. All you need to learn is to get into the rhythm. Also, he teaches you how to get your body to re-learn how to digest food properly and how to actively prevent random cravings that would normally send you on a first-class binge. The way it is structured allows for virtually anyone to design their own South Beach diet based on a few, comprehensible rules. Since the author's main goal is to improve your cardiovascular system through proper diet, you get two for one: losing weight is just a (very nice) side-effect.
on 16 December 2017
The best diet. Keep having to re-buy on Amazon Marketplace as I give all my copies away!
on 22 August 2017
It is in many ways a good diët program but I wish there were a bit more variety in regards to fish and snack. No doubt it works because I have done this diet 20 years ago but for my husband it was difficult. He is not a meat eater.
on 12 October 2012
This book does what is says on the tin. If you stick to the plan, you absolutely will lose weight. I bought it before my wedding and in two weeks managed to lose 12lb, making me feel much better about myself while being the centre of attention. The food plans/menus are great, and on the whole very tasty, though I could never get my head around the South Beach 'surprise' mash! Sadly I haven't the willpower to stick to low-carb long enough to become sylph-like, but maybe you could?
Check out the younger, thinner me in my memoir Nothing Ever Happens in Wentbridge
on 5 October 2010
This diet is brilliant - I have never been on a diet before but they always looked boring and difficult and complicated, but with this one it was so easy. I started it and my husband joined in a week later and both of us have lost about 4 kg each in a matter of weeks with no great effort. The recipes are good, but once you have understood the principle behind the diet you can improvise and make up your own recipes so you don't get bored. Also, it is easy to combine with cooking for a family, as you can eat the same as the rest of the family, but just leave out the potatoes/pasta/rice/bread, etc and have vegetables or salad instead.
I only started it in late August and five weeks later I got out all my old clothes from the back of the wardrobe from my pre-children days, and I can fit into most of them again. I had thought I was only keeping them for sentimental reasons.
I would recommend this plan to anybody - it is flexible, easy to keep and works.
on 17 July 2014
This has been a good book for us. It suits our lifestyle and we have lost weight through it. Still using the recommendations plus adjusting where necessary with the help of our GP (who also used this book with great success) and do not feel hungry or miss potatoes and bread etc. We are allowed to have these foods occassionally but why bother? As hubby diagnosed with diabetes type 2 recently, this has kept his sugar levels firmly within the normal range. So all good for us.
on 2 August 2017
The only diet I have tried that really makes you lose weight easily. Absolutely recommended.