on 10 October 1999
I found the title of this book misleading. I was expecting techniques from the designers which I had never seen before, however, this was not the case. It looks more like the author has chosen techniques, illustrated them, and then looked for a designer who had used this technique. If you do a lot of sewing or tailoring give this book a miss. If you know how to do bound seams, stitch piping, topstitch a facing or make bias binding, you certainly don't need this book.
I did not learn anything new from this book, and I was highly disappointed.
I learnt far more from Easy, Easier, Easiest Tailoring by Pati Palmer and Susan Pletsch.
Happy Sewing.
22 Comments| 116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 October 1999
I found this book wonderful - Granted some of the things have been covered elsewhere but found the instructions here brilliant. From the book I have drafted my own lining, and used the techniques for padding the sleeve arch, made bound buttonholes by this method and made the Armani pants with great results. I really enjoyed the Sewing Secrets which are great for tips and traps. I have been sewing my whole life and this book has helped to hone my craft!
on 24 August 1997
I have been sewing all of my life, and have studied under some of the most qualified teachers, but this book goes further than any other in its context and pictures. Claire shows some of the many techniques High Couture achieves its name. A must for any serious sewer, especially one who wants a beautiful finish as well as fit in her/his garments. It is a very technical book, which might be a bit frustrating for a beginner, but it will definitely inspire everyone. It has replaced my old Vogue sewing book of the early 60's. Bobbie Carr's book is also excellent, but this one is much more inclusive in its techniques. I think it is a must. Sharon O. Carter
on 11 August 2009
I have to admit to purchasing this book on a whim... I was tempted by the title I guess. I wish I had read one of the other reviews on here before getting this book.

As a dressmaker of over 30yrs, this book hasn't told me a lot I don't know already. However, if you are just getting into dressmaking it might be a worthwhile purchase. It appears to be clear and consise with 'tip's and pictures. However, the pictures and styles of clothing do rather date it... pitty they couldn't stump up for a few new pics!

All in all, not a bad book, but not a great book - not for me anyway.
on 6 October 2013
I found this book interesting but think the layout of the book could be clearer and better organised and the diagrams could be larger. I personally think that a picture for each stage of each process would have improved the ease of understanding the instructions. Maybe this book is too advanced for me and someone more skilled would understand the information with more ease. Still a good book though.
on 14 January 2017
excelent
on 24 November 2014
Very pleased with this book. Tips are very well described and lots of good sewing secrets
on 27 February 2015
good book with lots of helpful information
on 26 June 2013
I ended up buying this as Amazon recommended it after I bought another fashion sewing book. It is a good book but a little too professional for me. Great value and well packaged.
on 16 March 2015