on 30 June 2004
I bought this book a few months ago and once I started reading, I couldn't put it down. I have been riding the same section of local forest for 6 months and there are lots of sections I would never ride for lack of technique/fear of crashing but after reading this book I now ride almost every section and haven't come off once. There is just the right balance of example stories, techniques and skill drills to try, even a section of how to fall off properly, ha ha. My hill climbing is 200% better after reading the section on climbing properly and my confidence has soared. Get this book and start to ride like you should be
on 16 January 2004
Ned Overend is one of the most respected names in XC mountain bike racing, so a book on bike handling skills with his name on it is an excellent starting point. It is written in a relaxed, almost conversational style which entices you to keep turning the page.
Initially I was slightly disappointed on receiving the book as there are very few pictures accompanying the text. However, the text is very clear and only the more obscure techniques need and are illustrated with photos, for example Ned's weighting and body position during cornering.
The value in any manual of technique is in its successful application and here I found the format most useful: schedule training rides around the tips and drills contained in the book and then go back to it for more detail on handling skills that need attention. (If you are doing this correctly and concentrating you will find that the fitness element looks after itself!) I gained a real improvement in my bike handling skills after a first read and will be returning to the book regularily to build on it.
The section on winter training is especially valuable, laded with Ned's experience, and is a refreshing counter to the many overladen winter routines out there.
Buy It and Apply It - this is an excellent value book that will enhance your enjoyment on the bike.
on 20 January 2004
Superb read, packed full of tips and "skill drills" which have proved invaluble. The section on braking is especially helpful for a novice like myself.I have read it from cover to cover on a number of occassions, the only criticism I could level at the book is the lack of photos but this is in fairness countered by the clear, concise writing style.
on 11 December 2005
Very good indeed. It starts off with the basics of how to set up your bike properly then goes into basic technical stuff like how to do track stands, bunny hops and pedal correctly. It also tells you how to corner, brake, climb and descend. There's lots of little tips (eg. practice your track stand while your mate has a comfort stop) and there's loads of annecdotes sprinkled throughout the book to improve its readability. I've docked it one star as its more biassed towards the harder packed US trails than the UK muddy bridleways.
If you're just getting in to mountain biking or recently took it up then this is a really good book that will improve your technique. Better still, its a good entertaining read as well.
on 18 October 2005
I just took up mountain biking recently having not had a bike for over 10 years, and have been looking for ways to get the basics under control. This was the first book (and I've tried a few as well as some DVDs) which really started from scratch and has given me loads of good information. I was beginning to give up hope of finding something like this so am all the more overjoyed for finding it.
Highly reccomended
on 27 August 1999
Last week I purchased this book and have read it cover to cover. The book is set up so you can read and work on specific aspects of Mountian Biking. The tip sections are extremely helpful as are the drill tips. I would recommend this book to anyone new our experienced. There is a ton of information on how to prpare for races and epic rides.
on 14 November 2010
I was really impressed with this book. I bought it wanting to know more about xc riding technique and this book provides a really good range of technique in enough depth along with good anecdotes too. I really enjoyed it.
on 3 October 2002
There's no other way to get to know techniques and Mountain Bike experiences other than reading Ned Overend's own experiences, from which he himself learned from!
Even though there isn't much on training, this book focuses on all the techniques and situations applied when racing or just mountain biking... One of my Elite Mountain Bike National Points Series Victories was thanks to his help in the book!
on 31 March 2013
This book is a little old but is still one of the best books about mountain biking techniques. I have got faster, safer and better due to this book.
99.8 % of book is still upto date and some of the techniques which i have found work for me within this book I have not seen in any current MTB mags.
A top book which will help any level of mountain biker.
on 6 March 2013
I like this book and it's classic of the genre.
Well written with lots of good tips on how to ride fast, stay safe and get fit.
The only down side is that it is quite an old publication now and needs updating.