Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 November 2008
Ruth Ann and Wald Amberstone run The Tarot School and have already published a really useful Tarot book called 'Tarot Tips'.

One of those Tarot Tips was on finding secret paths from one card to another card by means of the shared symbols on cards. Well, although not directly related to that particular Tip it is a fabulous aid to spotting the shared symbols because, the Secret Language of Tarot details all the shared symbols in the RWS deck.

Laid out as a series of lessons (as you might find with their Tarot School) it is a comprehensive guide to the symbolism in the RWS. I think that it's another extremely useful book from the Amberstones!

I gave the book 5 stars despite the fact that it only really suits RWS decks (it doesn't deal with the symbolism of any other type of deck). So, in that respect, it is limited in its application. But then the RWS *IS* the world's most popular deck and, heck, a book that tried to encompass ALL symbols in ALL decks would need to be wheeled about by a forklift truck!

Worth buying if you like using the RWS decks.
on 2 October 2010
This is a nice book, very easy reading, and makes you think for yourself rather than spoonfeeding. Every chapter is ended with a spread developed from the subjects you have just studied, and I had some really good results with these spreads and will certainly continue to use them. if you are looking for a dictionary type set up of the symbols this isnt it, not every symbol is covered but the ones that are are discussed well and put in excellent context, the book is designed rather for you to start exploring symbols and how to do this. A good book and worth buying as long as you dont want a dictionary of meanings which this isnt.
on 19 March 2016
Over the years I have sat in many development groups and have found (in my own personal experience only!) that the format of this book is similar to that type environment & teaching method. It is conducive to learning because it is easy to understand, well written and interactive. With meditations, simple spreads and questions to trigger intuitive insight. It encourages discussion and exploration of the symbols & our own inner knowing. Within a group this type of book builds confidence and enables members of the group to explore things from differing angles which have been contributed by themselves, someone else in the group or their teachers. It enables students to work with their new found skills and insight in a positive and fun way, which is helpful, insightful and a great way to learn. If I was setting up a group this would be one of the books I would choose to get clear guidance from, for the students.

However, and this is purely my own personal opinion but I felt that the book could easily have been condensed down to half it's size (for individual's study - not for group work) and would in that respect have been far more useful to me when working independently, without the input or interaction of a group. In its present format I found this book to be slow and at times tedious & hard to get through. I kept losing interest in it because it is so clearly based on group teachings and interactions which, of course can be carried out as an individual but, the input from others is not there & when questions arise there is nowhere to go with it other than external reference books and therefore the book felt like it was padded out and there was something missing. If I had wanted a group teaching book I would have chosen that but I was looking for independent study and so I found this book somewhat lacking for my needs.

On a more positive note, the authors of this book are clearly excellent teachers and very knowledgeable in their chosen field, sitting in their groups must be a pleasure.
on 4 December 2011
This is a fabulous book for deciphering the meaning of the symbols used in Tarot. I love it all the time. Everything written by the Amberstones is well worth buying.
on 27 July 2014
Found this hard to understand and find anything that I needed to look up
on 28 December 2014
Would be good if I could remember it, lol