on 16 March 2017
Well thought out chapters detailing what was written by H. Blavatsky and additional information about the Cosmos, the creation and human evolution
Needs serious study and some fore knowledge of the subject to get full understanding
on 26 April 2017
Excellent Book. I read it many years ago. I am absolutelly delighted that I've read it again. I must keep it on my book shelves now. Dion Fortune was a Very excellent magus and her writings are useful for those interested in Occult Arts.
on 24 May 2017
You are one person before you read this book and a different person after you have read it. Not for the faint-hearted.
on 14 February 2008
I love Dion Fortune's work, but this book was a disappointment to me. It is a channelled work in which the being(s) involved gave Dion details of things which pertain to deeper spirituality and the origins of the universe.

I found this hard going, despite being quite well read on the subject of Qaballah. Like me, you may find yourself wondering what is actually meant by certain terminology. This book was written in the 1930's and its use of words such as "atoms" can lead to confusion since many of the ideas do not reflect today's accepted scientific ideas.

However, if you can see past the completely subjective nature of the information, there are some really interesting philosophical ideas to ponder upon in this book. Not least, it gives an interesting insight into Dion Fortune's mind.
on 22 April 2016
I was very disappointed in this. I am waiting to study this book with SIL but it seems utterly worthless to me. It is a kind of channelled cosmology of the universe which makes no sense at all. It won't help you with magic. The ideas from physics are now out of date but most of it seems like a mental construct in terms of rings of good and evil and so on. Modern physics is more esoteric than this.
on 27 April 2014
Many years have passed me by since I read this powerfully influential book - at least for me! I've always considered it to be the most profound book she'd written alongside 'The Mystical Qabalah'. I have been, and I still am, a student of Kabbalah and Theosophy, and for me this book stands as a bright bridgehead betweeen the two. It is in many ways a much shorter simplification of various books by CWLeadbetater and Annie Besant, and also HPBlavatsky's 'The Secrret Doctrine' and AAB's 'A Treatise on Cosmic Fire'. Yet to say it is 'just' a shortened version would be a little unfair.

Brevity does not detract from its importance. It is just somewhat different and gives a distinctive and at times contradictory perspective on the concepts-knowledge absorbed from Theosophical texts. This I feel to be a good thing. This book did sometimes cast light on my Theosphical understanding where but otherwise I saw only shadow, but equally sometimes it cast shadows where I previously saw only light, thereby forcing me to think and question more deeply and thereby not necessarily come away with certain knowledge, especially that provided by a single system of thought. Certainty, especially in the intellectual details, can be captivating and dangerous.

There are other overlapping tomes but none that take such a Cosmic perspective. I could for example refer to 'The Kingdom of the Gods' by Geoffrey Hodson as a book dealing with both Kabbalistic & Theosophical ideas but it does not take anything like the same Cosmic perspective.

My initial esoteric readings as a young man included Robert Grave's brilliant 'The White Goddess' which has rightly been compared to a physics textbook in the field of mythology. It took me 3 weeks of constant daily intense concentrated reading to finish. This together with various Kabbalistic texts led me to AAB's 'A Treatise on White Magic', because it had the word Magic in the title, and thence into other of AAB's writings and thus Theosophy, particularly the excellent compilation summaries by AEPowell. I suppose one could say that 'A Treatise on White Magic' is the AAB/Theosophy book most likely to draw one along a Magical current and into the Magickal Kabbalah. For me it was the reverse!

I know of no other book to this day that acts as such a bridgehead between Kabbalah (QBL, or however one might spell it) and Theosophy. Thus Dion Fortune & the Cosmic Doctrine act to bridge the gap between two major occult streams. Those who read and practice Kabbalah can thereby touch Theosophical concepts, and those who read Theosophy might touch Kabbalistic concepts. Still, it is less likely that a Theosophist would pick up a book by Dion Fortune, than would a Kabbalist pick up a book by a Theosophist and thereby decide to investigate Theosophy. Still, but for this book the two might otherwise for many remain separate.

I've oft wondered who she might have channelled.
AAB channelled the Master DK and I had wondered whether this too might be his handiwork, or perhaps that of a close associate.

Love, Light & Laughter
Steve Starlord
on 27 December 2010
It is saddening to note that this invaluable text was once kept "put away", and the public was denied it's transformative value. All thanks to Gareth Knight for letting this book out to the light of day. In this modern time the "McDonald's occultists" will deride the book as not informing their intellect and no one is there holding their hands as they read etc etc. But those who have eyes to see will take this book to their heart and, I hope, apply it in their meditation, and will see the all but lost art of training the mind (as opposed to informing the intellect) in full force and glory.
on 5 March 2006
Oh My God.. I am still working my way through it, and i do not doubt for a moment that this book will take many reads before I have a firm grasp, but it is full of information, granted it works with the belief systems of the medium which is Dion herself, but I am stil able to recieve the information with my own abilities to read the undercurrent of information. This book will read like sterio instructions to one without prior experience of occult or higher mysterious whatever your gig be.
Not for the light reader, but defo for one who has an interest of the bigger picture....
on 6 June 2001
This is an excellent book, packed with very weighty knowledge. You would need a firm grasp of the Qabalistic tree to make sense of most of it. While it's not an easy read it is crammed with information and images about the creation of the cosmos. It did make my brain ache at times, but was worth the effort.
on 20 June 2016
All good. Could have been processed quicker.