Customer reviews

on 19 November 2012
I can't recommend Active Hope highly enough. As someone who constantly felt depressed, frightened or in numb denial about the multiple crises facing humanity and life on earth, this book helped me reengage and reconnect with nature and other people, and draw from them a sense of joy and enthusiasm. Active Hope is about knowing you've done the best you can, no matter what the eventual outcome. It encourages you to be part of the Great Turning, from a consumerist to a sustainable way of life for us all. Published in 2012, this book is incredibly timely. Thank goodness for Joanna Macy!
on 8 May 2012
'Active Hope' is truly a gift to humanity at this crisis point in our collective history. This book succinctly describes the 'Business as Usual' model, which is systematically destroying the resilience of human cultures and the Earth's ecosystems, and yet offers an extraordinary vision of hope - the Great Turning towards a life-sustaining society, in which millions of people globally are now participating.

Holding the daily awareness of this precipice at which we stand requires enormous courage. This book offers clear insights and a tried-and-tested system to help us to develop the inner resources to cope. It feels like the most trusty companion anyone aspiring to co-create a sustainable future could acquire.
on 18 August 2012
Thinking about buying this book, then do it! This is the information and tools we need right here and now. It has been written in an open, easy to read non jargon way too. It feels like a gentle teacher is informatively guiding you through very straight forwardly how things are and what we can choose to think/feel/do about it. Like some books I don't come away feeling guilty that I'm not doing more or that what I'm presently doing is wrong its more of an 'oh yes that's a good idea, now I understand!'
If you facilitate any of 'The Work That Re-connects' (see 'Coming Back to Life') its a must have to bring greater clarity and understanding which you can pass on to the participants.
I love it and I'm recommending it to as many people as I can
on 2 June 2017
Comforting to know there are others in the world who feel strongly about the destruction of the planet and a message of hope that every one can make a difference if we pull together.
on 29 August 2016
Deeply thought provoking, practical & invaluable for inspiring positive action in this time of change & imbalance.
on 24 June 2017
Great and inspiring
on 18 May 2012
This is the book for anyone who has awakened in the night worrying about the present state of the world, or felt the need to close their eyes or ears to the news from TV and newspapers. This book carries a powerful and encouraging message in an easy to read form. It combines the considerable wisdom, expertise and experience of both authors in helping us cope with the recent overwhelming crises in an accessible way. It is both realistic and inspiring. It validates the distress many people feel when facing the problems of the environmental and economic crises, but also suggests ways we can play our unique part in bringing about positive change. I intend to give copies of it to all my friends!!
on 11 July 2017
One quiet weekend in a CIA office, someone decided to try an experiment to see how gullible people are, and at the same time create a 'person of influence' among the intelligensia using one of their former operatives...hence the 'ecophilosopher' Joanna Macy was born. And a network of people are trained to run candle-lit groups on her book. If you want something better than this hobbit-like analysis ("The great turning") then try Michael Parenti. And check out Gimbernat's Lust for Reverence, or Joshua Greene's Moral Tribes, or Popovic's Blueprint for Revolution.
on 2 May 2017
Read this book, tell people about it give it to your friends and leave copies in public places.
This is the best book relating to the mess we are in that I have read and I have read quite a few. It doesn't gloss over how bad things are but it makes it clear that we can all be part of the solution or Great Turning.
on 29 May 2012
The subtitle is 'how to face the mess we're in without going crazy', something that I've certainly been struggling with for many years. I've found Joanna's 'Work that Reconnects' to be a great support in this, and this very welcome book helps us to do this individually as well as collectively. Allowing our pain for the world to strengthen rather than paralyse us is so, so needed by all of us who are not deep in denial, but are very disturbed by the world's governments, media and much of the population being so. Thus we need to find ways to start a dialogue with our friends and families, and this book offers us tools to do just this, as well as supporting us on our own journey towrads finding our role in the 'Great Turning'.