Format: Hardcover|Change

on 18 October 2010
This book is an interesting anachronism and after all the hype about the difficult-to-find Japanese original, over the past forty five years, a bit disappointing. Really it is just a series of snap-shots by some Japanese tourists stumbling around the Ivy League universities in the belief that they were on to something - but not at all sure what. I don't think these students thought they were part of a major sartorial movement - they were just dressing comfortably and cheaply as students do, in clothes that were easy to maintain. The text translated straight from the original Japanese, is cute though.
on 23 March 2014
Arrived quickly, very interesting, as few people said, the quality is not very good, but after all this is a re-print of the book published in 60-ties - probably the images weren't very sharp in first place.
on 24 August 2015
An extremely poor reprinting of the Japanese original/ reproduction. Terrible print quality which looks like it was all done on a consumer printer at home. Photos look blurry and grainy. You can't see the details in the photos so what's the point?
on 21 December 2010
I realise that this a reproduction of a 1960s book, but I was a little disappointed in the quality of the photographs. Maybe we are spoilt these days, with re-mastered, touched up, high fashion shoots....but for a book focusing on a fashion related subject I think it could and should have been better.

Text is okay....but as photographs are the priority in this type of book...I was underwhelmed.
on 11 March 2016
Perfect coffee table book.
on 6 September 2011
The book is interesting and the pictures are just okay. I expected better quality photographs. I don't know if it's just my copy but as I already said looks just okay... :(
on 15 August 2016
A classic.
on 15 December 2010
The opening sentence of L. P. Hartley's book, The Go-Between (1953) reads, "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there". That's how one feels when one is looking through the pictures of Take Ivy. Teruyoshi Hayashida has got incredibly amazing eyes for details. He uses his camera like a magical device to capture little detail and existence...

I must say that attention to details is required not only in photography but also in the art of dressing. I think that since this book was published back in 1965, and comparing with what the students wear today on the campus, one can see how much we have dropped our sartorial standards as much as the way the youngsters drop their trousers below their waists. It is more important to blend in these days rather than nurturing one's individuality. It's very true when the fashion editor, Diana Vreeland once said, "The clothes aren't delicious anymore".

I only gave a 2-stars rating for this book because there are not many pictures in colour. I was frustrated when I couldn't see the colour in the picture where the caption reads "the colour of chinos is off-white...is not cream colour but light biege". I wanted to see what light biege really looks like but it is printed in black and white.