on 4 September 2017
Great Bible makes it more understanding with the other NIV I have.
on 19 May 2006
I have only acquired this Bible recently, it was recomended by my missionary girlfriend, who found it very helpful. Her comment was, 'do read it, but also read the authorised version of the Bible, like NIV'. Like all the Bibles I have brought, initially, I would read the Genesis chapter 1 and John chapter 1 to see what it is like. My immediate feeling was, 'it is easy reading yet accurate'. Later on, I read the preface and found that the author was giving the same comment!

I understand the views of the puritans, as I am, strictly speaking, is a puritan. I still use the KJV for my Bible study, because I think it is the most faithful English version. However, the reason I use different Bibles it because, different translations give different interpretation and application. I have the amplified version which gives all the possibilities of translation, I have the Bible of my native language, I have the Hebrew and Greek Bible although I have never read them, I have the NIV, which I use for group Bible study, I have a Good News Bible, which is like a older version of the comtempary English. I have the Jerusalem Bible, which is a Catholic Bible, since the Catholic Church has the benefit of the original manuscript, this is more faithful than a all other Bibles.

So, do read different versions of Bibles but also important is to ask the Holy Spirit to guide you.
11 Comment| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 February 2009
It is excellent. It has really encouraged me to read The Bible and gain a far better understanding of the nature of God.
on 23 September 2012
This little book opens up the Bible in a way that's so much easier to understand. You'll discover things that you missed before even though you have read them many times. Great size to carry in a bag with durable cover Highly recommended
on 8 December 2003
Ok its like this, the Bible was written in Hebrew and Greek originally, so nobody can criticise this book for saying it strays from the 'appropriate' vocabulary of older versions. This book is a breath of fresh air and adds a whole new dimension to the Bible. Its well translated words give people of all ages a lot of things to think about which they never originally discovered. I would thoroughly reccommend it!
VINE VOICEon 30 September 2005
The Message [Remix] is the whole Bible (both Old and New Testaments) in contempoary language. Eugene Peterson's effort is certainly a good one, and his aim has clearly been to re-communicate this two thousand year old book into a modern day culture.
Style: The Message Remix is a handy size, though not pocket material, and boasts a trendy cover with it also. The text is quite accurate and fairly faithful to earlier translations of the Hebrew texts whilst remaining accessible by most.
Format: The text is readable, and the book is a step up from the earlier versions of the Message which dont handle Chapter / Verse numbers. Although both are included in this text I have found them a little difficult to follow at times due to them being interlinked with entire paragraphs rather than a sentance / verse at a time.
Why Only Three Stars? I have to say as a full time evangelist and youth pastor I feel slightly iffy giving God's word three stars out of five! But actually, my rating has been given to this particualr translation and has been done in light of me reviewing it as a book, rather than the word of God solely. My only isssues with the Message stem from several things. First, the text is a clear American translation, and although this at times does provide fresh insight I will confess I find it quite hard to re-adapt the text if preaching from it, and dont really see why we should have me translating a text that's already been translated. Second, I have listened to many preachers use the Message, and as a regualr speaker at events myself, I have at time also used the Message. I do find, however, that it at times just isn't as solid or insightful as some earlier texts, such as the Contempoary English Version. I find, like the creative and impressive 'Street Bible' (Now known as Word on the Street) that the Message is best used as a 'resource' rather than a solid daily Biblical text for personal or preaching use.
All in all, yet another great example of people making the Bible relevant, and Peterson has done a great job. Buy it as a resource, you will use it. Just use it in wisdom!
11 Comment| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 November 2009
I've used an Authorised (KJV) version of the Bible for years. As a Christadelphian I read the Bible regularly as it's the book that defines my life. I love the text of the AV and through constant reading, plus comparison with other versions at times, I don't find the old-fashioned language to be an issue. Because of when it was written, it's also designed for reading aloud so it "flows" beautifully.

Yet I know that some people think it's just too ancient. The meanings of words and the style of language have changed a lot in 400 years. The last thing we need is for someone to be put off learning about God because they can't understand the words. I've tried many new versions over the years, including the RSV, New English Bible and NIV. But each one is difficult in its own way, and none have the flow of the AV.

So when I found out about the Message, I was somewhat skeptical that it would be any different. But it is! Yes, it has its faults. As a translation/paraphrase created by just one person (and that's some achievement!), it is biased in favour of some of the erroneous beliefs of conventional churches. But it has two significant benefits over all other modern translations that I've looked at:

1. It's designed for reading aloud. So it flows, with punctuation in the right places to aid reading
2. It is understandable without additional explanation. It uses the words that normal people use (apart from some Americanisms).

I would recommend this Bible for anyone who is looking for a "first Bible", a way in to the gospel for the first time; in fact I gave my first copy away to someone in just that situation. But I would also recommend it for those who've read the Bible for years and are looking for fresh insights. Certainly there's nothing quite like this version for directness and clarity. Use others as well for a less biased presentation of some key beliefs, but you'll find yourself reading chapter after chapter just because it's a pleasure.

And if you buy a pink one like this, everyone will know you have the Message!
on 23 May 2004
Easy to understand and read for those who have trouble with other versions. Written in everday speak, almost like reading a story.
I recommend that if you are serious about the Bible you get another version as well so you can compare the verses. But for those who just want to be able to read it easier, this is great. It certainly helped me.
Will probably appeal most to teenagers.
on 8 February 2005
I'VE BEEN A CHRISTIAN FOR MANY YEARS. ONE OF THE PROBLEMS I HAVE HAD WITH READING THE BIBLE IS THAT MANY PASSAGES ARE OVER FAMILIAR. 'THE MESSAGE' IS EASY (BUT NOT LAZY) READING AND GETS YOU REALLY THINKING ABOUT PASSAGES YOU HAVE READ SO MANY TIMES BEFORE. RATHER THAN FINDING THINGS WATERED DOWN AS CAN BE THE PROBLEM WITH SOME TRANSLATIONS AND PARAPHRASES THIS ENCOURAGES ME TO DIG A LITTLE DEEPER AND GET OUT THE GREEK/HEBREW DICTIONARY. WE MUST BE RAVENOUSLY HUNGRY TO LEARN WHAT GOD IS SAYING TO US. THIS IS SPIRITUAL FOOD FOR WHICH I THANK GOD!!
I'M HOPING TO INVEST IN THE PARALLEL VERSION SOON.
on 10 November 2008
If you are thinking about buying this Bible, I highly recommend it. Nice print, nice and big font, numbered verses, cool color, amazing translation. Just love it. Suitable for both an occasional reader and a serious student of the Bible. This translation is sometimes closer to the Greek original than the more literal ones. I know Greek and Hebrew and I love the Message.