on 7 May 2005
I cant remember exactly how i got a copy of the message into my hands - but i cant express the life it has brought to the scriptures for me. I used to feel bad that unlike many of my christian friends i never really enjoyed reading scripture that much, found it dry, repetitive and the language quite dull. But the message on the other hand has been hard to put down. This is the only translation I ve ever read which for me brings Gods words to me as if it is Gods word - alive and aloud. I have always believed strongly in the presence of God in our lives and how he talks to us in manifold ways and if we listen and be still we will hear him - the message has made his voice in my head ring out with the words on the page. I now see the scriptures as Gods word cos it speaks my language. Ive heard it said that its not eloquent or beautiful or lofty language, ive heard some say it borders on disrespectful - try it yourself - eugene patterson has done justice and gives glory to God in this translation. I cant recommend it enough.
0Comment| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 May 2006
I have only acquired this Bible recently, it was recomended by my missionary girlfriend, who found it very helpful. Her comment was, 'do read it, but also read the authorised version of the Bible, like NIV'. Like all the Bibles I have brought, initially, I would read the Genesis chapter 1 and John chapter 1 to see what it is like. My immediate feeling was, 'it is easy reading yet accurate'. Later on, I read the preface and found that the author was giving the same comment!

I understand the views of the puritans, as I am, strictly speaking, is a puritan. I still use the KJV for my Bible study, because I think it is the most faithful English version. However, the reason I use different Bibles it because, different translations give different interpretation and application. I have the amplified version which gives all the possibilities of translation, I have the Bible of my native language, I have the Hebrew and Greek Bible although I have never read them, I have the NIV, which I use for group Bible study, I have a Good News Bible, which is like a older version of the comtempary English. I have the Jerusalem Bible, which is a Catholic Bible, since the Catholic Church has the benefit of the original manuscript, this is more faithful than a all other Bibles.

So, do read different versions of Bibles but also important is to ask the Holy Spirit to guide you.
VINE VOICEon 30 September 2005
The Message [Remix] is the whole Bible (both Old and New Testaments) in contempoary language. Eugene Peterson's effort is certainly a good one, and his aim has clearly been to re-communicate this two thousand year old book into a modern day culture.
Style: The Message Remix is a handy size, though not pocket material, and boasts a trendy cover with it also. The text is quite accurate and fairly faithful to earlier translations of the Hebrew texts whilst remaining accessible by most.
Format: The text is readable, and the book is a step up from the earlier versions of the Message which dont handle Chapter / Verse numbers. Although both are included in this text I have found them a little difficult to follow at times due to them being interlinked with entire paragraphs rather than a sentance / verse at a time.
Why Only Three Stars? I have to say as a full time evangelist and youth pastor I feel slightly iffy giving God's word three stars out of five! But actually, my rating has been given to this particualr translation and has been done in light of me reviewing it as a book, rather than the word of God solely. My only isssues with the Message stem from several things. First, the text is a clear American translation, and although this at times does provide fresh insight I will confess I find it quite hard to re-adapt the text if preaching from it, and dont really see why we should have me translating a text that's already been translated. Second, I have listened to many preachers use the Message, and as a regualr speaker at events myself, I have at time also used the Message. I do find, however, that it at times just isn't as solid or insightful as some earlier texts, such as the Contempoary English Version. I find, like the creative and impressive 'Street Bible' (Now known as Word on the Street) that the Message is best used as a 'resource' rather than a solid daily Biblical text for personal or preaching use.
All in all, yet another great example of people making the Bible relevant, and Peterson has done a great job. Buy it as a resource, you will use it. Just use it in wisdom!
11 comment| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 December 2003
Ok its like this, the Bible was written in Hebrew and Greek originally, so nobody can criticise this book for saying it strays from the 'appropriate' vocabulary of older versions. This book is a breath of fresh air and adds a whole new dimension to the Bible. Its well translated words give people of all ages a lot of things to think about which they never originally discovered. I would thoroughly reccommend it!
on 10 February 2009
It is excellent. It has really encouraged me to read The Bible and gain a far better understanding of the nature of God.
on 23 May 2004
Easy to understand and read for those who have trouble with other versions. Written in everday speak, almost like reading a story.
I recommend that if you are serious about the Bible you get another version as well so you can compare the verses. But for those who just want to be able to read it easier, this is great. It certainly helped me.
Will probably appeal most to teenagers.
on 10 November 2008
If you are thinking about buying this Bible, I highly recommend it. Nice print, nice and big font, numbered verses, cool color, amazing translation. Just love it. Suitable for both an occasional reader and a serious student of the Bible. This translation is sometimes closer to the Greek original than the more literal ones. I know Greek and Hebrew and I love the Message.
on 8 February 2005
I'VE BEEN A CHRISTIAN FOR MANY YEARS. ONE OF THE PROBLEMS I HAVE HAD WITH READING THE BIBLE IS THAT MANY PASSAGES ARE OVER FAMILIAR. 'THE MESSAGE' IS EASY (BUT NOT LAZY) READING AND GETS YOU REALLY THINKING ABOUT PASSAGES YOU HAVE READ SO MANY TIMES BEFORE. RATHER THAN FINDING THINGS WATERED DOWN AS CAN BE THE PROBLEM WITH SOME TRANSLATIONS AND PARAPHRASES THIS ENCOURAGES ME TO DIG A LITTLE DEEPER AND GET OUT THE GREEK/HEBREW DICTIONARY. WE MUST BE RAVENOUSLY HUNGRY TO LEARN WHAT GOD IS SAYING TO US. THIS IS SPIRITUAL FOOD FOR WHICH I THANK GOD!!
I'M HOPING TO INVEST IN THE PARALLEL VERSION SOON.
on 22 December 2009
excellent - good print size compared to many Bibles. Verse numbers at the side of the page so they don't get in the way of the text
on 15 May 2011
This bible is a really good bible if your getting to grabs with the bible or if you have trouble reading it with out drifting off. It keeps you hooked is simple and doesn't leave you confused. The one problem with this bible is the Pslam's aren't as straight forward as they could be but other than that simple good and some that I will never ever return to a store.