Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 26 September 2005
Far and away the best and most helpful book i have read on time management. Very practical and easy to get started at and to keep up. Asks you to do no in depth investifations of your self and your behaviours. JUst gives you actions to do at the end of each short chapter. This book is responsible for making me much better oranised. More motivated and much more effective. A brilliant book.
on 13 June 2006
This was a clearly laid out and easy to read small book that you could finish in a day. It's priority (a choice word considering the author does emphasize prioritisation to counter procrastination) is to create mechanisms for people to do what they already know but don't do - retain focus on the key challenges and tasks and do not waiver from them until they are complete. The irony is that, while I am writing this review, I am supposed to be doing something much more important - obviously I'm not practising what I preach! Nevertheless a worthwhile read!
on 2 April 2012
I purchased this item after I read "Maximum Achievement" and was taken with Bryan Tracy's style and ideas. This is sadly not more than a booklet containing a small summary of advise and I feel it somehow contradicts his former clever and thorough work (which involved the reader way more and explained everything well). Do yourself a favour and buy the real thing which contains a lot more wisdom and make the changes in your life last. I think it makes the difference of reading "The picture of Dorian Gray" or buying a booklet of Oscar Wilde quotes- the later can also be inspiring and entertaining, but you don't really get a full picture.
Is life more fun when your are excited and motivated? Can you get more done then?

What idea do you think Mr. Tracy uses to get you in that mood? You can probably guess from the title. He wants you to think about your biggest and most important challenge (that you are most likely to put off) as a big, ugly, live frog that you are going to eat first thing every morning. Now, that should really turn you on! No? Well, I guess you're not bloodthirsty enough to make a big success then.

All kidding aside, except for the poor choice of metaphor this is a pretty good book. It combines in 21 rules the key points from many people who have written well about time management including Peter Drucker, Alex Mackenzie, Alan Lakein, and Stephen Covey. So you can save a lot of time by reading this book instead of many others.

I would like to compliment Mr. Tracy for giving full credit to most of those whose ideas he uses, which he did not always do in the books he wrote in the past.

The sections are short in this book, and many pages are blank. Most people could read this book without rushing in less than two hours.

You are encouraged to use all 21 rules, and there's an exercise at the end of each rule to help you get experience. He feels that following these rules for 21 days will be enough to form a new set of habits. Many behavioral researchers would argue that it takes longer.

Mr. Tracy has applied all 21 of these rules in his own life, and testifies to their effectiveness. His key message is to spend your working time on what will do you the most good and skip doing the rest, and he gives you several ideas to identify what those areas are and how to make psychological and skill progress in them. For example, you should first do those things that will make you more successful in the key aspects of your job. To get more time to work on self-improvement, give up on watching television and listen to audio tapes on these subjects while driving.

The book has three minor weaknesses. First, time management is viewed as a discipline . . . with little emphasis on the inspirational. If you had to do something unpleasant to save the life of your child, you would easily feel inspired to do so. If you had to do the same thing to meet a personal plan for self-improvement, would you be inspired enough? Although the book talks about getting inspired, it seems to rely on a taste for self-discipline that many lack.

Second, Mr. Tracy writes in aphorisms that are often not explained. As a result, it isn't always clear what he is talking about. The material is highly condensed in this way, and you will often wonder why he is telling you what he is telling you. For example, he tells you to stay away from white flour. Now, unless you have read a lot about how white flour affects your blood chemistry to cause your blood sugar to crash and make you feel tired while your body burns less fat so you gain weight (which also makes you more sluggish), you would never be quite sure what all this has to do with time management

Third, Mr. Tracy's 21 rules could have easily been condensed into many fewer, which would have made them easier to remember and saved you time in learning how to apply them. He also projects many personal preferences onto everyone else. For example, he wants to be sure that you sit up straight as you work. I couldn't quite figure out how that helps with time management. Maybe you avoid having to see a chiropractor, and that saves time.

What is your idea of a compelling life? What would create a compelling life for you? What are you not yet doing that's necessary? Learn to hesitate to procrastinate about those things, then!
I have been meaning to read this book since I bought it back in 2011 but because I am very good at procrastinating I managed to put it off! It has proved its worth already because I have spent the last two days completing a complicated paperwork task which involved putting together lots of information from all sorts of places and collating it into a coherent whole. I've been putting off doing this for the last two months. In the spirit of the book I decided that this was the frog I really needed to `eat' so that I could get on with my life. If it does nothing else for me the book has proved worth its purchase price.

The book - as its title states - contains twenty one ways to stop procrastinating and start doing those jobs that you really can't face. If you do something you don't like doing first thing in the morning you will get such a boost from achieving it that you could find the rest of the day is much more productive than usual. Anyone who has read any literature in the field will be familiar with some of the suggested ways of bypassing your procrastination instinct such as prioritising, making lists, the Swiss Cheese method (i.e. attacking small chunks of a bigger task so that eventually the bigger task begins to resemble a piece of Swiss Cheese full of holes).

I found this book very readable, interesting and inspiring. If you are a procrastinator then you may find it helpful, especially if you are putting off doing something that you know will improve your life if you just got down and did it. You may find that large frog is just not as big and as unpalatable as you think it is once you get started on it. Frogs don't have to be eaten in one gulp either and can be eaten in bite sized chunks over a period of time. If you only read one book on procrastination then make it this one.
on 11 February 2016
Read it, digested it and worked on the content in my day to day life and it has had an effect. More focussed and getting more done of higher quality. Just got an award from my boss recognising this so chuffed. Well worth it
VINE VOICEon 29 July 2007
This formula is a winner. Most self-development books rely on you reading a lot of information and then having to work quite hard to implement it all. Here, we have short, sharp ideas that can be put into practice quickly and easily. Excellent idea.
on 31 March 2015
Within just a few pages, I noticed that this is a life changing sort of book.
I immediately started writing goals lists.
I've done lots of coaching and rehab work. This was a fresh voice, maybe something I was in the mood for. But straight to the point and really useful.
on 4 August 2014
I love Brian Tracy's materials and delivery. This is a good CD series, but if you've dipped your toe in the waters of "Getting Things Done" by David Allen, you'll appreciate that David Allen really has cracked the issue of "Time Management". I'm not regretting the inspiration I've got from Brian's work but if you need to get things done - listen to David Allen first.
on 1 November 2013
I was intrigued by the title, and throughout the book, the analogy about eating frogs was amusing but it works and is straight to the point. The first 13 tips about prioritising your life and filtering out the fluff is great advice for those not already doing it as it really works and produce great results. At the same time, I also find that I reclaimed some "lost" time by not trying to do everything on my task list. In short - I became more productive and have more time for myself and my family.

However, from chapter 14 onwards, it talks about putting pressure on yourself to achieve, staying optimistic and motivating yourself which thousands of books have covered these topics in much greater detail. We are emotional beings and in no way are we able to sustain this. It is mentioned to give yourself a sense of urgency, but of course subconsciously, one knows that it is not real, hence you may be able to sustain it for some time but eventually I would see most people will fizzling out.

Overall, for the price, I'd say it's a blessing for the first 13 tips. It applies not just to work, but all aspects of life.

Bottom line - solid time/life management tips, but motivation needs to come from a higher source.