on 30 June 1997
As Associate Professor for Computer Science and Information Technology, I teach a block of classes that cover various Internet and Web technologies. When I developed the lesson plans for the courses "Introduction to Web Publishing" and "Advanced Web Publishing", I focused closely on two books: Laura Lemay's Teach Yourself Web Publishing Premiere (ISBN: 1-57521-096-7) and William Stanek's Web Publishing Unleashed Professional Reference Edition (ISBN: 1-57521-198-X). Both books are hard-cover editions by well-respected authors who are leaders in their field.

The book I chose to base my lesson plan on is William Stanek's Web Publishing Unleashed Professional Reference Edition (ISBN: 1-57521-198-X). The primary reason for the choice is that organizationally, Web Publishing Unleashed Professional Reference Edition is the clear winner. For learning and teaching Web publishing techniques, Web Publishing Unleashed Professional Reference Edition is the clear winner as well. During the Spring '97 semester, I taught 85 students Web publishing basics and advanced topics using this book. Because of the overwhelming response by students, I plan to use the book again for the Fall '97 semester.

Incidentally I conduct an informal survey on the first day of my Introduction to Web Publishing class that asks students to list their previous knowledge and experience as well as books they've read on the subject. The results from students that are just getting started and had read a book covering Web publishing show that 52% had read Stanek's Web Publishing Unleashed (first edition/Professional Reference Edition), 29% had read Lemay's Teach Yourself HTML (in one of the many editions), 9% had read the HTML Sourcebook, 6% had read HTML: The Definitive Guide and the rest had read a different book. For readers of all skill levels, the result show that 45% had read Stanek's Web Publishing Unleashed (first edition/Professional Reference Edition), 22% had read Lemay's Teach Yourself HTML (in one of the many editions), 11% had read HTML: The Definitive Guide and the rest had read a different book. (Students that had read several books were asked to list their favorite or the one from which they had learned the most.) Although one of the math professors may argue with me, the results tend to indicate that 5 out of 10 of my students read/like/prefer William Stanek's Web Publishing Unleashed, 3 out of 10 read/like/prefer Laura Lemay's Teach Yourself HTML, and 2 out of 10 read/like/prefer a different book.

My strong recommendation is to get William Stanek's Web book. If you are on a budget you may prefer the soft-cover edition. Otherwise, get the professional edition with the hard-cover. Professor Reginald Harrington
on 21 July 1997
Lemay is a hustler that is for sure and like an old carnie, she'll take your hard earned cash without even batting an eyelash. When Lemay says Teach Yourself, she really means Teach Yourself. I learned more on my own than I learn with this book. Time after time, I struggled through the pages of this book only to come up empty handed.

Unfortunately, I thought I was the only one having trouble learning HTML with this book, but that simply wasn't/isn't the case. I've heard HORROR stories from dozens of people who said exactly the same thing. After all, Lemay is supposed to be this great writer. She has her own series and everything. BUT in the end, it is all slight of hand designed to trick you into believing the smoke and mirrors are real.

I am SOOOO glad a friend loaned me his copy of William Stanek's wonderful book Web Publishing Unleashed Profressional Reference. From HIS book I learned that Web publishing (even the advanced stuff) can be fun and LEARNABLE.
on 4 February 1997
I found this book to be an excellent, in-depth text book on how to program in HTML. It reads very quickly, with good examples. Despite the title, I found that I could cover the information in the book more quickly than the expected time. Also, you can get a basic Web page up in less than a day (as I did). It isn't intended for real beginners, but anyone with any programming background will find this book to be a snap. People without programming backgound should be able to get through it, but may want a book with more basic background information. My only complaint was that the CD-ROM had some problems. These were known problems that were covered in the book's own Web site.
on 16 April 1998
Ever since learning MS DOS, I've enjoyed plowing through "How-to" books about various aspects of computing. If you like to learn this way, Laura Lemay's HTML book is great. It takes a lot longer than 14 days (unless you have absolutely nothing else to do, and fantastic powers of concentration) but you will learn the basics of HTML 3.2. My advice is to work through the examples on your computer, rather than just read through the book like a novel, and check Lemay's Web page for corrections!
I have seen courses advertised at an Australian University for $2 000 (Australian) that don't teach much more than this book. At $100 (Australian) this book is a bargain.
on 15 July 1997
I found this book to be excellent for beginners, and would recommend it highly for someone new to HTML, the Web, and the Internet. The easy-to-follow lessons reinforce the material, making it easier to remember. I have another book on becoming a Webmaster, and halfway through that one, I ditched it for Lemay's book because her explanations are much more concise. Her sense of humor also makes the material much more bearable. There are a number of typos and other errors, however, that I find unforgivable in a book this expensive. I would certainly hope these are cleared up in the next edition. Running a spell-checker would have cleared many of these up.
on 28 June 1997
For the beginner ONLY, Laura Lemay lays out the latest HTML specifications to get you started. From your first <BODY> tag to your </HTML> she's got you covered. If you already know HTML, I'd recommend this book only as reference, but for the beginner, an excellent starting point. Even those of us using HTML editors still need to have a working knowledge of how HTML works for those situations that may come up where the editor just won't do exactly what we want. I learned HTML from Laura Lemay back in 1994, and since then millions of others have learned it from her as well.
on 5 October 1997
I have to agree with previous reviewers who said this book just doesn't add up. This book is hardly an exhaustive look at HTML 3.2 or a exhaustive look at anything for that matter. This book is very confusing and poorly written. I recommend looking elsewhere. Two good HTML books come to mind:
William Stanek's Web Publishing Unleashed Professional Reference
HTML The Definitive Guide
HTML Sourcebook
Ooops that's three, isn't it? Out of all those I think I like William Stanek's book the best. You be da judge.
on 30 January 1999
I have had this book for some 3 years now. I also have Net Objects Fusion 2 and Javascript from the same author. I don't understand when people write negative responses to Laura's work. I have always found her coverage to be excellent, clean and sensible in its presentation. These books are getting rather tatty now - I use them constantly for reference and always find them useful.
Well done Miss Lemay - excellent work!
PS. Have you written anything on JBuilder Pro 1.0?
on 30 May 1999
Quite a good book for beginners who wants to learn not only HTML, but a bit of everything eg. JavaScript, CGI, images and plug-in.
Why I didn't give it a FOUR star is because the book going far too detail. What it covers in 200 pages can be indeed covered in 40 pages. To be fair, I am an experienced software developer so I can just go thru the syntax and learn the language.
Anyway, it did really give me valuable background information other than just learning HTML.
on 16 April 1997
This edition offers a wealth of information and is fairly current. The lessons are divided into a logical and easy to follow format although it is hard to keep up with her pace. I kept falling behind, sometimes by days. See if you can keep up. The only other criticism would be the lack of proper proofreading as there seems to be an abundance of typos and other errors.