Customer reviews

on 11 November 2011
I have got many books of crochet (2000+ and counting!) and one of my favourite designers,especially for small items like doilies,christmas snowflakes,etc has to be Patricia Kristoffersen.When I seen this publication on Amazon I had my doubts as to whether to get it or not,the main factors in my decision was,repeated patterns that I already have in my collection, and ultimately the price did seem more than I would usually pay for a book.I got over my doubts and got the book.WOW!!!Although a few (approx 10 patterns) I did have,the majority were new to me and what a joy to see her unique interpretation of a age old favourite craft.There are all sizes,shapes and her unique ability to create stunning textured stitches is something to behold.The shapes range from the simple circle to oval through to "star",heart shaped and beyond!The patterns as far as I can see are in the tradition of leisure arts,that is to say complete with no mistakes or typing errors.Although some of the patterns are for the more advanced crocheter,I do believe that if you are new to thread crochet then this book would be a good base to learn the craft from as a learning tool.The only annoying thing that I can say about the publication is that all the pictures of the doilies are on the centre pages,quite annoying if you are on page 10 for instruction then got to go to centre to make sure that your item looks right.But,this is a small price to pay for such an amazing book.Some patterns are in two colours and this can be adapted as the mood takes you,some designs are infact 3 dimensional and truly are a stamp mark for Patricia Kristoffersen's work.This book is in my top 5 that I have ever purchased,the reason being why it isn't number 1 yet is the fact that I have just purchased another of her books called The Best of Patricia Kristoffersen,which I am waiting in anticipation for it to arrive.How she can possibly better this book is beyond my comprehension,but I have been proven wrong about this book so I am keeping an open mind!As to another book that she produced with leisure arts,if you like the sculptured textured designs that Patricia Kristoffersen creates then Doilies with a Twist will be hard to beat.There are only 6 designs,but these are more than enough to keep the advanced crocheter busy for a long time.If you are thinking of buying this book for a relative or friend who has done british thread work patterns but has never done USA patterns then I cant praise this enough.I bought this for an aunt who loves it and our only problem as a family is keeping her up to speed with supply of crochet 10 thread.If you do get this book,either for yourself or someone else(I do hope that you do!) and you agree with my review,then please post a comment to my review.I can't rate this publication highly enough,5 stars isn't worthy of it x 10 possibly!!!
on 19 October 2012
I really like this book and the designs I have made from it are really nice. Take note of the title the finished doilies vary from 5 to 8 inches approx. It uses american terminolgy and has some very interesting stitches in the designs which is why I feel it might not be for beginners. I found the instructions easy to follow however in common with other books from USA I found to obtain the correct sizes a size larger hook was necessary (instead of 1.75 i used 2.0). USA bedspread weight yarn used is approx. equal to 10 in UK.
Personally I like USA designs as the stitches used are more interesting than those in Books from UK
on 8 August 2011
This is an american book but does have the English conversion chart at the back so a little patience is needed. I haven't found it too easy but am persevering with it. There are many lovely doilies to choose from. I am not dissappointed I bought it.
on 28 September 2013
looked at all the pictures and already tried a couple. they are lovely though quite a few on a similar theme. worth the money for the quantity of patterns.
on 12 September 2013
I enjoyed looking through this book. Lots of choice for different doilies. Inspires me to get my finer crochet hooks out and get working.
on 13 January 2014
Nice for my dob I always nite somthing now for my student and my shelf so I bay meny books her in amazon strong servis is good for my.
on 13 January 2017