Customer reviews

VINE VOICEon 18 November 2011
Well - what can be said of these strange Cards?

I stumbled upon this very unusual Tarot Deck quite by chance - and am I glad that I did! You simply won't find any other Set quite like them - anywhere you look!

They seem to be a bit 'controversial' from reading many different Reviews from all over the Internet. (and not just from Amazon) Many people are claiming they are too 'dark' - even scary - but for me, they do not come across this way, For me they are more 'surreal' and 'fantasy' like, and I have to confess; I was so taken with them that after placing my Order I eagerly awaited (almost sleeplessly!) until they arrived - I was so excited about receiving them! They are a very exciting Deck indeed; the images are quite unique in style and inspire all sorts of imaginings - and if like me you love all things 'Moon', then you'll be delighted with the fact that all the imagery is bathed in the soft glow of atmospheric moonlight!

Now, despite all this, whether one could actually use these Cards for serious Reading or not is another matter, since though based on the standard symbols of Tarot, the imagery is such that I would say one might simply be too distracted to Read accurately. (and naturally distracting for the Querent too)

I got these myself to add to a small Collection that I have - I may attempt to use them for myself only at some stage, but would probably avoid using them for others - unless I had an enemy who knew nothing of the Tarot and wished to scare them to death! : - )

I was staggered at the amazingly cheap price of this package, since they are really superb quality, are large, come in a large box, including a special little Booklet, but more excitingly; this Set comes with a large poster-like Spread Chart for Readings and Card Placements which is really neat!

Quite honestly, I can't think of anything negative to say about this Deck. The only people who are not going to like them, are those who wish to Read for people not understanding Tarot - but Collectors, or those with plenty of 'imagination' will simply adore this unique artwork! I should also imagine, that one day when they are out of print, this is the sort of thing that would go for a sheer fortune on Sites such as eBay!

Enjoy!
VINE VOICEon 25 March 2016
This is the book other Tarot writers need to be afraid of: Patrick has set a near-impossible bar with this book. Physically, it's enormous: a couple of centimetres shorter than a sheet of A4, over an inch thick (not including the covers and weighing in at nearly two kilos. The cover alone shows it means business: heavy embossed boards with the triumphal birth/emergence of the creature from the Six of Wands who appears on the front of the box of the bordered edition (but get the borderless edition: you can see so much more in the borderless deck). It's extensively illustrated throughout with not only the cards, but details, locations used to obtain sample textures used on the cards, and preliminary sketches. The paper is heavy and high quality, so the book "only" runs to 340 pages. As well as an explanation of the card meanings, Patrick gives us an insight into the evolution of the deck from his first sketches for the deck as a teenager.

I'm afraid I couldn't wait and ordered the book direct from Patrick. Also I followed his facebook page, nagging/encouraging him, along with many others, to get the book published. It's been a long wait, but it's been worth it. The detail is stunning, way more than I've seen in any other Tarot book written by the deck's author. Yes, it costs more than either version of the deck, but full page blow-ups of the cards, focus on the minutiae of the deck and Patrick's inimitable writing style... One confession: I bought two copies: one to use, read and refer to and another to sit on the shelf, being beautiful, until such a time comes that the "working" copy has suffered too much wear and tear. And if an electronic version is ever produced, I'll buy that as well.
VINE VOICEon 22 October 2009
This is a strange and beautiful deck, which, although it largely follows the Rider-Waite-Smith conventions (though Justice is 8 and Strength 11), brings new meanings to the cards. The artwork is grotesque and surreal; the backgrounds created largely through extreme photo-manipulation featuring images of cemeteries and abandoned buildings, with of the characters having started out as sketches to which manipulated textures have been applied.

Many of the characters have a strange double face, one side of the face is in profile while the other side looks straight out (think full moon/crescent moon) - difficult to describe but very striking to look at. Characters sometimes have extra or missing limbs, The Empress has three breasts, Death is pregnant, and the figure in the Nine of Pentacles has a wheel instead of a foot...

The level of detail is amazing: the more you look, the more there is to see. The misery of poverty is brought to new heights in the facial expression of the figure in the Five of Pentacles, and in the Three of Swords there's an almost knowing look in the eye of the figure transfixed by three swords: is she suddenly aware of what is happening, or is she, perhaps, playing up to her situation calculatingly looking for sympathy?

The Little White Book is good as far as it goes, but the deck really needs the book that Patrick Valenza is working on. Meanings are given for reversals, and the backs of the cards give no hint of whether the card is upright or reversed.

I wouldn't recommend this deck to a beginner as much of its imagery is quite dark and unconventional, but for a more experienced tarotist this deck has a great deal to offer.

UPDATE: 2013 and the Deviant Moon is still my "working" deck...
on 7 September 2017
Deck arrived quickly. Packaged well. However i had 1 damaged card in the deck. But have a replacement coming to me from usgames publication themselves as only 1 card out of deck was damaged. Shame. However the deck is stunning! Great artwork.
on 28 August 2009
This exquisitely designed deck might be a little dark for some but it suits my tastes and is excellent to use. Valenza worked on this deck for several years and as I'm in the process of designing a deck myself it's easy to appreciate the work that has gone into producing this beautiful set of cards. I've found I use it as my main deck but even if your preferences are for something lighter, it would be a wonderful addition to any tarot collection and has rightfully taken its place among the more popular of recent tarot publications.
on 11 April 2016
This is an amazing book - so much more than any other Tarot book I have seen. Each card comes alive with the story of the characters, and history of how he designed it. The large size does the illustrations justice and its amazing to see the sketches and inspiration as each one developed. For an artist, it's also a great guide on the thinking process and effort that goes into creating something like this. The advice offered and philosophy behind the cards is very rational, pragmatic and solid.
on 11 May 2015
At first, I was totally repulsed by this deck, as it seemed too dark and sinister, with it's bizarre and misshapen images. I simply could not see myself using such cards for public or private readings.
I was wrong. The Deviant Moon Tarot definitely grows on those who "bite the bullet", and eventually purchase this deck, as I did.
From the first time you use them, these cards give amazingly precise and accurate readings, especially when answering "yes and no" questions. Where some other decks, although very pretty, seem almost hesitant to give straight answers, this is not the case with Deviant Moon. This deck virtually shouts it's answers at the reader and gives you the honest and sometimes blatant truth.
If you can persuade yourself to look beyond the weird appearance of these cards and allow them to speak to you, I can promise that you won't be disappointed. The Deviant Moon Tarot is a marvel that really delivers the goods.
on 12 July 2015
Overstylized and betraying a superficial appreciation of tarot, these cards are absurd. If you like the artwork then fair enough. But better still, buy some blanks and make your own.
on 30 April 2009
These cards are absolutly fantastic the pictures are very unusal and the title The Deviant Moon sums this deck up I would recomend this pack to everyone you wont be disappointed.
on 9 January 2010
Such a gorgeous and delightfully lunatic deck. A good candidate for intensive use. BUT. Unfortunately the quality of the cards is poor. Several corners were split already in the first shuffling, and I was careful.