on 20 March 2015
After our Daughter was diagnosed recently with anorexia, we were plunged into a nightmare & scoured the Internet for books to find out as much about the illness as possible. Although this book is written for an American audience, it strongly supports a Parental involvement in their recovery along with the professionals and thankfully we are making good progress so far. It's reassuring to know that we are doing the right thing in supporting her at every meal (even driving to school to meet her for lunch). After reading the book we are united in our approach & are really seeing a difference in her eating which is now improving her mood & outlook on life. We are feeling hopeful for the first time in two months. We know that the road to recovery is a slow one and that you cannot rush getting better, even though you just wish they would be well again but this book has definitely given us the confidence to support our Daughter all the way to recovery.
on 15 April 2014
there are a lot of things that will start to make sense to you whilst reading this book. It will even help you pin point when your child ED started to manifest itself.

There is useful advice (it is imperative that you get your child professional help asap) but the book mainly helps the lay man understand what they are up against. You cannot do much for your child if you do not understand what could possibly happen in their head.

Highly recommend it. I barely took any minutes off reading this book...
on 21 April 2010
This is an American book and although the advice is good, it's based on US treatments. Also I don't think it's as good as Skills-based Learning for Caring for a Loved One with an Eating Disorder: The New Maudsley Methodand Anorexia and Bulimia: A Parent's Guide to Recognising Eating Disorders and Taking Controlwhich I bought at the same time. If I were to buy these 3 books again, I'd just go for the latter two as I found I referred to them time and time again, whereas the American book just ended up in a drawer.
on 12 May 2010
Having had a daughter just diagnosed with Anorexia we were recommended this book by her counsellors. Chapter Seven about taking control was just what my husband and I needed to help us try and help our daughter. Highly recommended for anyone who has a friend or relation suffering from this terrible disease. We are still in the early days, but whatever stage your child is at, it is a great help to understanding a bit about how insidiously Anorexia works.
on 18 July 2013
My daughter was diagnosed with anorexia in May this year and it was suggested in the support group we go to that this book would be a great help to us. When I started reading it it sounded familiar to what was happening to my daughter so although it scary to read it will be helpful in the long run.
on 23 August 2017
Good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 August 2013
More useful for someone with an older teenager who is capable of understanding how their mind works and who, on the road to recovery, can use the concepts to make the necessary changes within their own head.
on 7 October 2016
Helpful information.
on 25 May 2015
Lots of helpful information. Easy to read and very matter of fact.
on 6 June 2016