Customer reviews

on 26 November 2006
If you can look beyond the very "hippyish" language (a sigh of the times!) this book is a truly fabulous piece of work, and an inspiration to midwives and mothers alike. Yes, its slightly dated, but the actual purpose, to show women as capable of birthing their babies and to make us all consider the effect of medicalisation on childbirth are still very relevant.

I would recommed all those working in, and expecting a baby in countries who have taken over childbirth as a medical event read this and other similar texts to reevaluate which outlook is really the most "advanced".
on 5 November 2012
Absolutely Fantastic Book and life stories. Whether you are looking to become a Doula,a Midwife, live a free lifestyle or just need inspiration, This book is guarenteed to uplift and inspire!
on 27 August 2011
I purchased this book after having it suggested in the "further reading" section on the back of several other books that I have read throughout my pregnancy. (Beautiful Bountiful Blissful by Gurmukh is a particular favourite and highly recommended-it has become my bible throughout my entire pregnancy)

Spiritual Midwifery is definately a worthwhile read if you are open minded and prepared to consider the more natural options of giving birth.
As it was originally written in the 70's, (but revised several times, most recent 2002)the language used is very dated to that particular "era" - lots of "getting high", "tripping" and so on, but I think this is meant as a descriptive as opposed to the literal sense of the word!
There are lots of tips that I picked up from this book, but it was quite repetetive at times with the different birth stories which semed to all merge into one after a while. The back section is totally aimed at practising midwives, and as such, was pretty useless for me but it was interesting to flick through. It also gave me a feeling of empowerment knowing that, should I need to, I could refer to this book with any medical terms used during my poregnancy that maybe I wasnt familier with.
All in all, I would recommend this book if you are into alternative methods or just want to increase your knowledge of the traditional midwifery role.
I would definately NOT recommend this book if you are only prepared to accept the modern day hospital/epidural/bottle feeding route of birthing and motherhood. This is not the book for you.
on 17 May 2011
to gain confidence in what your body can do during childbirth, this book is amazing! also if you are interested in midwifery - this book is a must have
on 1 December 2011
Funny anecdotes ?intensional. Interesting insight into how midwifery should be (in low risk women) ... back to basics and with the woman in control!
on 21 August 2013
Really enjoying the book, so much information on childbirth.... and its giving me great courage! :)
Fear is not part of my vocabulary anymore!
on 29 September 2013
This book is fantastic. Ina May is a true legend for natural birth. Picked it up and just couldn't put it down till the end. Highly recommended !
on 11 January 2013
brilliantly written and inspiring book, really positive vibes given from this book, i recommend for any one dreading child birth
on 1 September 2007
I thought this book was wanderfully inspring, and I'm extremely happy to see the majority of people who have commented about this book have given it full stars and a positive comment. I would like to have a home-birth now with my partner fully attended- it has made me realise how important it is to have him around and it will certianly be lovely for our relationship. Some people are put off by the 'hippy' language of the book but it was only their culture and they could just as easily sigh at the culture we have now and think "How mad!?". It ceertainly takes an open minded person to read this book. As far as I'm aware the women were not on drugs when they gave birth- the word stoned is used to describe the emotion of the event, but correct me if I'm wrong.
on 1 March 2014
Lovely book. Helps to reverse all the negative conitations we hear about birth today. Ina may is inspirational. A good read