Customer reviews

on 12 May 2017
Clever and thought provoking
on 8 February 2013
This book full of ideas for strange party games and imagination expanding exercises. As it was written at a time of sexual repression most of the examples are sexual in nature which made it unsuitable for using with my kids, but that being said the ideas in it are great. My only quibble is the size of the book. It isn't great value but it is still worth getting if this is your thing.
on 9 November 2016
I've bought this book for countless people over the years, and everyone has enjoyed it. Surrealism used games to make art playful, intuitive and strange -- to access the unconscious by tricking the brain into doing without thinking. This book is a collection of methods the Surrealists employed -- from their version of Consequences, or automatic writing (writing without thinking), to more conscious invention -- opening an encyclopaedia (doesn't work so well with Wikipedia) and making a drawing that joins up each of the illustrations, for example, or describing one randomly-chosen thing in terms of another randomly-chosen thing.

Great for all ages, and there is something in here for every taste. Far more entertaining than a pack of cards, and with plenty of neatly, clearly explained artistic theory lurking politely in the background in case you want to dig deeper.
on 29 January 2001
This book is elbows, because it freezes an eerie look into tangerines. Aldera frowned. His body would come magically to life again. Not closing the gates, Tembo to canned remaining salvation. In short, we loved it! Happy playing.
on 22 May 2016
Fascinating to find such a book, one of many creative games used by some of the greats.
Really enjoyed these both on a fun level, and on an intellectual level.
I would recommend these to anyone wishing to practice their creativity in a surreal way, I personally have found these abstractly useful to my music composition.
on 1 September 2010
I just got it and it is a lot of fun. The games in this are numerous and the applications vary from party games to serious brainstorming techniques. For me as an artist (I am a cartoonist and illustrator that is far more in aligned with fine art and comics than modernism or post modernism so this isn't fan boy review) I find it really useful to play these games to lighten u a bit and tap into my really creative and passionate side. I suppose more importantly I laugh a lot when reading the examples or playing the games and I imagine you would to. It also has examples and some of them will most likely make you react in pleasantly surprised manner as you say "some of this stuff is really good, don't know what does it mean I like it but really..."
Sorry if this is a crap review it is jut that I am sleepy having stayed u to 5 am playing these and I have not yet went to bed.
on 13 January 2017
It takes some working but it can end up being really fun. It's also a good window onto the subject... or should I say it is a brick wall holding elephants.
on 12 December 2015
Actually I wasn't sure what to expect but it was an absolute delight. Giving me lots of ideas - not just for surreal effects but writing in general
on 18 May 2016
Fun to start with, but it all gets a little tiresome.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 August 2011
This is an excellent book of games which gives you the chance to discover your surrealist/unconscious self. Very interesting and challenging games that will make you explore the deepest and darkest side of your unconscious mind.