on 12 April 2013
I am currently training for the london marathon 2013 and wanted a book that can help me get through the psychological barrier i.e. 'the wall'.
Very inspiring with real life stories and a training plan. Worth buying and keeping by your side even if you are an experienced runner.
on 23 March 2013
recently ran my first marathon. Had never done any running before. Found this book inspirational. It actually made me believe that i could run a marathon. And I did!!! The only thing it didnt mention was the use of energy gels,which do really enhance race day preformance
on 13 December 2012
This book prepares you for running a marathon. One chapted designated per week, packed with motivating quotes and helpful tips. I am not yet halfway through my training period yet, but I am more sure than ever that in 12 weeks, I will finish a marathon.
on 13 November 2016
The best book! Don't look at anything else. Weekly build up is great I used it towards my first Marathon in Paris and made it in 4hours 20. Great advice for all areas of training and psychological advice was invaluable- buy it and enjoy!
on 15 September 2008
I bought this book to help me train for my first London Marathon at the age of 51. I was a regular but minor runner putting in only 5 to 6 miles per week with my longest run at 3 miles. Overall I was fairly fit, but overweight.

The book is well laid out and easy to follow including a detailed training programme with explanations of exactly what to do and why. It adopts an overall approach to marathon training, explaining how and why you must think as a marathon runner.

I followed the programme religiously, lost significant weight and completed the 26.2 miles at first attempt. No course record, but still a personal best! This book does exactly what the authors claim.
on 9 November 2014
Still reading but enjoying the style of writing. Nuggets of information both nutritional and mindset. Chapter dedicated to each week of training telling you what to expect emotionally and physically. A really good read
on 28 July 2014
Really helpful book. Basic 16 weeks plan , lot of motivation , lot of tips, lot of stories (some interesting, some not , but worth reading it anyway) . Gives you confidence to try and run your first marathon. I did.
on 22 November 2013
It is american which could put people off. However, I found it the most encouraging book yet for persuading me I can complete the London Marathon. Real peoples experiences and a tried and trusted programme.
on 25 October 2009
Having never run long distance I was conned into running a marathon for charity and thought I better get organised. This book was easy to follow and helped me run my first marathon just 6 months later. Good training schedule and helpful info on the mental side of a race which with this distance I found very useful. I enjoyed reading about other people's experiences of following this programme and how they then coped with the race. I have a friend who is now wanting to run a marathon for the challenge and I will be recommending this book as the best place to start.
on 27 October 2009
I bought this book for my mother as she is attempting the London marathon for the first time at 50, and so far she has found it very helpful. It focuses a lot on the psychology of training and thinking positively as well as offering a training schedule, so if you just want a training plan with none of the extras you might be better off choosing a different book. However so far it seems to be working for her (a non-runner) as she is training well and looking forward to it so I thoroughly recommend it.