I got this book several years ago, and I dabbled with it occasionally but, largely due to poor motivation on my part, it sat on my bookshelf semi-forgotten about.

Anyway,this year I have set about following it as part of my exercise regime and have definitely noticed a big improvement in my press-up ability and upper body physique.

I'm about half-way through one of the advanced training schedules and am pretty sceptical about the "100 press ups in 7 weeks claim" unless you were already amazingly fit and a lot younger (I'm pretty fit for a 51-y-old by way of reference). However, I feel that the regime will get me there eventually... perhaps 7 months in my case, haha.

If you were to think of it as "a great press-up training programme that gets you much fitter, improves your physique and enables you to do more and more of them if you stick with it" then its good value and is definitely delivering this for me, so I am happy with the purchase and recommend it to anyone who is not expecting a magic wand solution to low chest muscle strength.

Oh, by the way, it is probably worth saying that before I started with the book I absolutely detested press ups... every single one. Now I only moderately dislike the first 20... although I still detest the ones after this. I am sure this change of attitude is a reflection of how my strength has improved with the regime.
on 25 March 2011
I found the website first, and I was very impressed with it. I started the exercise program and got all the way to week 4, but then started to struggle with progress. I then started to wonder if the book might provide more information that could get me past my plateau, so I bought it.
Quite frankly, I think there is actually less info in the book. The extras that the webite refer to are simply trivia and historical facts about other people's press-up records. Nothing in the book provided extra training tips, or advice on form, that I could use. Not only that, the sets of press-ups required to complete each training session are completely different in the book to the ones published on the website, so to continue with the program I was already on I would have to ignore the information in the book I just paid for!
I have switched to the sets planned out in the book, and I am now making slow progress again, but I don't think it's the book that actually helped me. If you haven't lost money on this product already, I would suggest you steer clear and use the free online version.
on 10 October 2011
Just like any exercise or diet regime it won't work unless you put the effort in and stick at it. This book can be read in 2 or 3 days depending how much reading time you have available. I am in week 3 and so far I am keeping pace with the programme tailored to me which is assessed by a simple test.

Read the book then do the initial test when prompted. It's then just a matter of following the table three times a week for 5 to 10 minutes on each day doing 5 sets of press-ups (push-ups). I have already noted a change in my physique. I am 13 stone, 5'11 and 48. Stand back ladies!! :-)
on 17 April 2010
There is nothing new in this book at all and I don't think the approach of increasing numbers and sets but leaving rest periods the same works either.Doing a 100 press ups divided into sets of ten or twenty and steadily decreasing the rest period makes more sense and certainly got me up to 60 press ups at 44 years old. All those who follow and are successful with the program from the book must be super light with incredible muscular endurance. I find it hard to believe that a runner with no previous upper body training can succeed with this program, as stated in the book.
22 Comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 December 2011
Two years ago I smashed my shoulder completely in an accident - broken humerus, dislocated shoulder and the ball of the humerus was smashed. You could see bits of bone floating around in the x-ray. I had to wait 8 weeks for surgery and spent 3 months after that with my left arm immobile.

I couldn't do a single press up when I bought this book. I had to start by facing the wall and pushing myself away from the wall while standing upright. Gradually I was able to do push ups using a window cill. Then I did them from my knees on the floor and finally I was able to start the programme properly.

When I first started I didn't read the book properly and I didn't warm up. This was ok to start with, but as I loaded up my arms I started to get problems. Months later I sat down and read the book properly. I now warm up as the book says and stretch afterwards as the book says and I've had no problems at all.

This morning, in the middle of week 5 of the programme, after 5 sets of pushups, I've just done 31 consecutive push ups, which is exactly on target.

You can understand from my story why I might have doubts about my ability to complete the programme. I look at the number of push ups it says to do next and part of me says "you can't do that". I then get down and do them just like the programme says - and I can! Today's total was 103.

Face your fears and doubts and do it anyway. I am so glad I bought this book.
on 26 February 2011
It's a somewhat decent book about the wonderful exercise, the Pushup.

While you get a program that might work for someone, and some decent exercise tips, this seems like a rushed job. Better editing, more coaching and more tips on how to make this fit into a normal exercise routine would make this a better book.

And the programs don't really deliver at all.

Too much hype, too little actual content
on 14 May 2010
Perhaps I am relatively slow to achieve results, but I also find it hard to believe the majority of people can follow this.

I took the initial test and did 32 press-ups (as a 35 year) which meant I started at the highest level, so I don't think the problem is being super unfit in the first place.

I'm on my 8th week now and still can't complete week 4! More specifically - Friday's workout. I keep repeating it every session, but can't get more than 20-25 on the last set yet. The program suddenly seems to ramp up the difficulty levels at this point.

I don't give up easily, but this may be discouraging for other purchasers.

Incidentally, I can do around 45 now which is at least a 33% improvement, and I definitely look and feel more muscular, hence I still give 3 stars.

However - 45 is a LONG way short of 100 after this much training.
VINE VOICEon 20 February 2010
This is a very good book in the sense that it gets you in shape without having to spend a penny! It even has a spreadsheet to download to enter your results into, so you can chart your progress.
Also prersented in a clear and concise way, with photographs to explain some points.
on 13 February 2010
Title sums things up.

This is more detailed than the hundred push-ups site.
You're provided with 6 different workout programs, depending
on what your strength level is. They span from 7 to 10 weeks,
depending on how fast or slow you want to take it.

This also includes additional warm-up exercises + illustrations
and stretching post-push ups illustrations.

Even more once you're done with the 100 push ups challenge it provides
a lot of alternative ways for you to do your next 100 push ups so you
increase your strength further.

I'm pleased with the book :)
on 11 December 2010
Press ups, for me- associated with punishment for misdemeanours in the military, or in the Dojo or in PE at school. However the beauty of this book is that it takes you on a gradual journey into the world of push ups and gets you started on a 3 day a week training program to suite you (from fit to barely able to do 1 press up). You can blast through these sessions (Mon, Wed, Fri)in around 10-15 mins and I still did all my martial arts and Triathlon stuff in and around it- no probs.
I'm only starting week 4 but already my upper body strength, posture and arms are revolutionised. Its made me realise how important good upper body strength is to self esteem and health in general. More natural and gradual than pumping loads of weights and waking up the next day with rigamortis! Good buy!