on 5 January 2012
I have used this book for nearly a year now and never had a poor batch of cupcakes. Firstly, the recipes are well-laid out and there is a page devoted to metric conversions, should you need it. Yes,there are ingredients required which you may not normally have in your cupboard, but they are well worth the investment, especially the canola oil and apple cider vinegar. The cupcakes turn out moist and more-ish. Even if you don't bother with the fairly lavish frostings/fillings, the basic cupcakes themselves are superb. This is a must-buy baking recipe book for those wanting a dairy-free cake.
on 28 October 2011
Firstly i must say buying a US cup measure is essential for this book (make sure it is US 'cups' [236 ml] not UK 'cups' [250ml])

Fantastic friendly book full of recipes, awesome ideas , glossy photos and witty comments. Comes with lots of recipes for delicious cakes/frostings and fillings. It also has many alternative suggestions for those that do not want to use Soy milk or spreads.
Really easy to follow recipes for amateur or beginner cake bakers but also allows you to input your own ideas/alternative ingredients ; if like me you aren't too fond of step by step instructions.
on 1 June 2009
Having just been told I am intolerant to eggs as well as dairy, the biggest blow was that I couldnt have any cakes. I bought this book because of the glowing reviews on Amazon. It was a while before I got my head around English substitutes for the American ingredients and pleased to finally get baking at long last. I presented my vanilla cupcakes to my husband and his parents (who think I'm a wierdo because of my allergies) and they kept asking for more until the whole batch was gone! It was only then that I told them they were vegan cakes, well, you should have seen the look on their faces. I'm going to try the chocolate ones next and then see where the mood takes me. It has been such a relief to know there is such a yummy vegan alternative to cakes and I have something nice to nibble on with my coffee!
on 14 March 2013
Just buy it. Full of easy-to-make recipes and stuffed with humour. That's the best kind of cookbook and it's allowed me to indulge my craving for cupcakes without having to involve any creature that has a face and a mother. Win win.
on 26 September 2010
I was given this book by a friend and I have been baking from it at least once a month ever since with excellent results.

Proof? The pages are now dirtied and sticky and possibly my waistline has been affected. My (non-vegan) friends regularly come over to mine to get some cupcake-baking action using these recipes, and I've taken them to work and have received numerous compliments (despite my shoddy attempts at decoration). No-one would know that they were vegan, and anyone who has realised that they must be has been astonished.

The book is nicely presented with some mouth-watering photos, and a light-hearted writing style.

There is an excellent variety of cupcakes, from plain chocolate or vanilla, to the fanciest cupcakes which involve cutting bits out and stuffing the insides with various gooey deliciousnesses. Each cupcake recipe has a number of variations in terms of frostings, fillings etc. There are also a couple of lower-calorie/wheat free recipes for anyone with specific needs.

Recipes are clear and easy to follow. Results are spot on every time - in stark contrast to recipes from other books which produce cakes which fail to rise or are heavy.

Despite being American, the recipes use widely available ingredients - no weird stuff you have to go to a healthfood shop for. The one exception to this being 'Graham Crackers' which we don't get here and appear in maybe one or two recipes, and can easily be swapped for digestive biscuits. Other reviewers have mentioned 'shortening' being difficult to get hold of , it's not - Cookeen or Trex are well-known brands available in your supermarket.

For measuring ingredients, the recipes do use 'cups'. Again these are now widely available in the UK. I have to say I really like measuring with these, much quicker than weighing out ingredients. So actually it's a plus point in my book.

If you are vegan or have a vegan to feed cake to, this is the best book on the market.
on 16 August 2008
As a recent Vegan (for health reasons) I was feeling a bit depressed about the options open to me food wise. I am a baker at heart and to not be able to eat what I cooked was not fun. However I stumbled across this book and the world became a better place again.

Once you make the simple vanilla cupcakes you are hooked and cannot wait to bake the next batch. My family, friends and work colleagues do not believe that these are dairy free and my fussy eater nieces love them too.

I cannot recommend this book enough. One tip is to buy measuring cups and spoons, plus an oven thermometer if you are on gas. Invaluable.
on 2 December 2009
so, as a vegetarian who doesnt eat eggs, i never get any cake :-(

i therefore have an obsession with all things cakey cos lets face it - you always want what you cant have!
this book is pretty damn good though. there are lots and lots of different ideas and substitutions etc
however, as previous reviewers have said, some of the ingredients are basically impossible to get in the UK
the cup measurers are like 80p in asda and i actually orefer this method to weighing everything out! it just makes things easier.

ive tried 2 recipes, both of which were gulfed down by my family - the banana split cupcakes and the marble cupcakes.

ps these cakes are very sugary and i think its for american tastebuds, i find that we brits prefer something slightly less sweet so you can just leave a bit of the sugar - or keep it in, theyre still delicious

pps 1 cup measure is 240ml, i found that a measuring jug can do the job if you cant find any cup measurers
on 27 November 2007
I have used this book for the past few months, and have tried most of the recipes included. I feel that every recipe is included in the book on merit, and not just to make up the numbers.

They are a real success with all of my vegan, non-vegan and dairy intolerant friends. (There is the odd wheat-free recipe also). The book is full of beautiful pictures and each recipe is easy to follow.

It is a book of pure indulgence - don't think that being a vegan book it will all be ultra healthy - we're talking treats here. Our favourites include:-Black Forest Cupcakes, Coconut Lime Cupcakes, Peanut Butter Cupcakes and Pistachio Rosewater Cupcakes.
on 24 September 2007
What a fabulous book with beautiful photographs of compassionate cupcakes. Even the gluten-free cupcakes were exceptional.
on 4 February 2015
With this book I have quickly become the talk at our nursery! These cupcakes will satisfy even those children without diary intolerance - they are fluffy, tasty, simply delicious - you name it....and the authors have done many bakers the great favour collecting these recipes in this handy book. Get your ingredients sorted and ready, set, BAKE!