on 8 September 2016
This book is unbelievably good! I am a professional software developer of 15 years getting back into game programming. The level of detail is really good - giving pointers to further reading if need be. After just a few hours of reading it has transformed the project I am working on.
I don't have any problems with the quality of the book spine/glue as some others have had.
One person found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 18 June 2012
This is an excellent example of a text book which transcends academia and makes for an read perfect for anyone interested in the technology of game engines, game programming or just effective team and resource control in a creative software environment.

The book is very well presented, the hard back being an instant hit on any technophiles shelf. The content is clearly presented and easy to get to grips with.

The book is clearly a textbook for a college/university course, with large spaces in the margin for notes, however, I can easily forgive this.

The contents of this text however will age as we move on with other technologies, and it is (I would consider) and expensive tome. This might mean you need to expect updated editions being published over time, and to splash out on updating to that latest edition. However, this is a small thing to keep in mind for such a well rounded, informative and interesting read on the subject matter at hand.
on 19 July 2010
I'm mainly writing this to address a complaint about this book that I've seen elsewhere: that this book is too high level and doesn't go into enough detail with specifics.

I'd say that is the beauty of this book, and why it stands out. There is already no end of books about low level maths and algorithms, but very few on the overall structure of an engine. For once, here we have a technical book with information you can't find on the internet!

This book is a great overview of all components of a game engine - not just the commonly over analysed rendering aspect - and how they all fit together. As an wannabe indie developer, who hasn't had the experience of a professional game company, it's great to read insights into the naughty dog internal engine and other professional engines. I'm reading through this book and constantly having "aha!" moments with respect to my own game engine.

My only minor complaint would be that there are some very basic bits near the start of the book, however I can easily overlook that considering the value of the rest of the book, and I am sure an absolute beginner would find those initial bits very useful too. And having these basics does make the book a complete overview, and remind an experienced developer of things he may have forgotten.
One person found this helpful
on 18 May 2015
Large book. Doesn't go into depth about much but covers a lot of ground. Once read you will have a solid understanding of how a professional game is produced.
3 people found this helpful
on 28 November 2013
I teach engine development and this book is good, but runs out of steam towards the middle and end (more C++ code samples needed together with assembler). A lot of the book covers basic concepts without ever delving into the details too much. Maybe the book is just too wide a breadth in subject matter. I do teach postgraduates and undergraduates and I do know students do get a lot out of this book, but we need more code samples!
on 2 February 2011
Having been moved to write my first Amazon review I give this book 5 stars. Got it on Kindle, some of the figures are not sized nicely ( Kindle PC ) but this is a minor issue. The book itself is excellent, very well written and easy to read but chocked full of useful information even for an industry professional. This book provides an overview of individual game engine components and interactions in enough detail to permit deeper reading with a comfortable foundation of prior knowledge. At the same time it also manages to drop plenty of useful gems. Well worth having in your games programming reference library, along side more focused books on specific areas.
2 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 11 December 2017
The diagram showing the architecture of a game engine has been really helpful in breaking apart my monolithic code into maintainable components. The book is bit too high level but has given me the guidance I need.
on 6 June 2013
this book got me through my university degree, it has everything you will need and it is written in plain english. he just states the facts and some interesting stuff that you should know. he skips out all the stuff that is irrelevant. the chapters on collision detection are great, bit hard to understand, but he states equations and what they are actually used for, such as the most efficient way to check to see if objects collide in 2D space, simple gcse maths but at gcse they just tell you to figure it out and you dont know why. frankly this book should be at a lot higher price, also look at Real-Time Rendering - this also got me through my degree.
on 24 November 2015
I bought this product for my nephew who thinks it's absolutely fantastic. 10/10.
on 20 June 2016
Good start, getting complicated as book is read - assumes mathematical knowledge.
2 people found this helpful