Customer reviews

on 1 June 2017
I haven't read this purchase yet but read the book originally 30 years or more ago and found it a fascinating read. I am hoping to read it in the next few weeks and feel sure I will not be dissapointed.
on 9 July 2017
Great book for anyone who practices karate and wants to learn of it's modern origins
on 15 June 2017
Classic book, would highly recommend
on 26 April 2017
A most interesting read on the origins of Karate
on 3 January 2003
This book is a true must-have for any student of martial arts, not just shotokan karate. Within Master Funakoshi guides the reader throughout his life and shares stories and information about his experiences. Master Funakishi's way of writing is humbling and enlightening and a delight to read. It cannot be recommended highly enough and all martial arts students, whether beginner or black belt, should read this amazing life story of a remarkable man.
on 26 July 2016
no commnt
on 11 July 2005
I read this book and could not put it down.Its the great true life history of master GICHIN FUNAKOSHI and the things that happen to him within and out of his karate life,(funny avents),a great read and a must for all karate folk.
on 7 May 2010
As a 5th dan practitioner of Shotokan Karate for nearly 40 years I have been aware of Gichin Funakoshi as it's founder the whole of my life. For many years I questioned the practical relevance of many of the techniques and kata I have been taught and in turn passed on to my own students. As a student I began to think that the aesthetic appearence of Karate seemed to be important to my seniors than its actual use as the self-defence system that it claimed to be. I was taught Karate kumite as a sport for scoring points with techniques of nearly no relevance to real confrontation and kata as almost a dance routine to look good to the eye and impress judges in an over riding and all important quest to gain a medal or trophy.
On studying closely Karate-do: My Way of Life by Gichin Funakoshi we learn that Karate has changed so much since its introduction to Japan, that if our great projanitors were to see it practiced today it would be unrecognisable to them as Karate. This superb book gives us a unique snapshot at the old masters: Sokon Matsumura, Itosu and Azato. These truly hard man practised karate as a close quarter combat system designed specifically to protect their king. Kata was not a meaningless succession of movements for physical exercise or performance but rather each kata was a recording of a complete and utterly devastating fighting system. Moreover we discover that Gichin Funakoshi was adamantly against the stylisation of the art and was dismayed at his Karate being named Shotokan!
Karate Do My Way of Life is a superb book written by a genius of the art.Okay, it's not Orange Prize book award writing but we're Karateka and every karateka should read it and enjoy it.... NO! STUDY IT AND LEARN from it for what it is. It gives us all the clues on how we should be teaching this life-changing art and its not how the majority of schools do it today.

Overall a pleasant read but more importantly the key to how karate should be practiced is held within.
on 10 December 2004
I was recommended this book by my Sensei and I am so glad I bought it. It is an amazing story about an amazing person who dedicated his life to Karate and without whom we - as students- may not be training in Karate today. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in martial arts and defy anyone not to be inspired and motivated by the book. Excellent reading, I couldn't put it down.
on 8 December 2001
This book is a super biography of today's master of Karate, Gichin Funakoshi. Even since his death in 1957 he has helped Karate to be exported throughout the world. It makes for a VERY interesting read. A must for those interested in not just the combat of Karate, but the Spiritual side of it too.