Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 June 2008
This book does exactly what it says on the tin: it puts particles into functional groups (time, relative position, actions towards, quantity, etc) and describes their usage with practical examples. It is very easy to use, and most of the differences between similar particles are illustrated quite clearly. The exercises at the end of each section provide an effective means of testing what has been learned.

The only disadvantage is that example sentences are given in kanji/kana, and alternatively in romaji. This means that learners who have mastered hiragana and katakana but not the kanji will be put off from reading the Japanese text, and revert to the romanised text, which I personally find to be a step backwards. But others might not see it as relevant because the point is, after all, to learn about particles.

Overall this book is well worth the price, both for learners wishing to find out about the different particles, and for experienced Japanese speakers who want their grammar to be so sharp that it could shatter a katana.
on 24 November 2012
Hi, I'm just a beginner and I'm just getting to grips with Japanese. The book is useful to me currently however I'm not quite at the level where I can fully use the book entirely my vocabulary is too small and I can't yet navigate the japanese grammar system. For these reasons I say honestly that the book is good, I am not, as I progress it will be more useful. I would never the less recommend this book to anyone. I use it for reference all the time and when I am better I will complete the intended exercises. good luck with your japanese.
on 7 April 2013
The book is well recommend for people who are leaniing Japanese beginners and advance. : ) : ) : )