on 26 November 2012
This book it is great. A good selection of lunch suggestions, with easy to make recipes.
This will take longer than making a sandwich, but that is part of the point. We aim to have a bento lunch once a week and everyone always comments when I do.
The book generally suggests making lunch in the morning but I don't have time so generally make it the night before but it has all been good. I do have a bento box from Japan but often pack the lunch into Tupperware depending on what it is.
I have tried quite a few of the lunches now, and my presentation is not always as good, straightening prawns takes a long time and did not really work out for me, but they have all tasted great and are healthy as well. Each dish is very quick and easy but the idea is you have three or four things in each lunch.
If you like this book also check out the justbento website, it is the same author and has hundreds of bento lunch suggestions.
I have a couple of other bento lunch books but this is my favourite. If you want lovely lunches and are happy to spend a little time to have them you will not regret this book,
2 people found this helpful
on 27 February 2014
I bought this to bring some inspiration to my lunches and also to help me and my husband eat healthier, all those shop bought sandwiches are expensive and not all that good for you! This book is easy to understand, has been written with healthy in mine andhas everything you need to know to get started (especially for a novice like me); Makiko's time lines are fantastic for helping to speed up making everything first thing in the morning. She also has some really handy preparation tips too, those are invaluable for time saving.

I would recommend this to anyone looking to spice up their lunchtime, I personally cannot wait for lunch now I know I have something delicious and beautiful waiting for me! It takes some practice to be super speedy at making everything, but once you have done it a few times you get a great routine going.
on 6 March 2014
This book is perfect for those who are starting out with Bento boxes in Europe and western cultures that can't easily find unknown ingredients that are in abundance in Japan. This book has another section for more easier Bento boxes along with a load of hints and tips of how to keep your ingredients fresh and delicious.

I would totally recommend this book for recipes and tips as it was brilliant and easy to find all the ingredients in my local supermarket and it gave me idea's how to create my own bento boxes. Also its a great way of reducing uneeded fatty carbs in the diet! losing weight all the time now
on 9 August 2013
Fantastic book. Tried sushi for the first time using the recipe from this book and turned out really well first time. Inspiring little recipes to liven up your lunchbox as sandwiches bore me to tears. Author provides guidance for every recipe so if your not a knowledgable cook like myself you feel like you're in safe hands. Plus alternatives are provided if some of the ingredients don't match your tastes.
Would definitely recommend this little treasure to anyone who enjoys jananese food. All ingredients are accessible to the Western buyer as i find many of my previous japanese cookery books require you to spend a fortune on specialist ingredients.
on 6 August 2016
Great for ideas but quite a lot require sorting out before you leave for work in the morning and I was looking more for prep the night before and simply grab out of the fridge in the morning. Still some good ideas though
on 17 October 2015
What a great intro to bento this is. Easy to make with few ingredients to source, most is now available in your local supermarket. I am lucky in that we have an oriental supermarket in town so I can get ingredients even more cheaply.
That aside you will be cooking in no time at all and your lunch box will thank you! I have made 4 complete recipes for entire bentos and loved them.
on 17 February 2015
I used this book all the time. It has great recipes as well as suggestions for alternative ways you can make each dish. Say the mini burgers it gives you other recipes so that you can make them out of turkey or salmon and not just the beef as in the photo.

My favourite recipe is the soboro one as the sweetness of the mince went really well with the plain rice and it lasted almost all week as I was the only one using it, meaning I only had to cook up the egg soboro and the rice each morning which only takes about 10 minutes.
on 19 December 2016
Packed full of great recipes - easy to construct a mixed bento following the guidelines contained in the book. The accompanying website is a brilliant resource as well.
on 5 May 2015
fabulous book. we use 'yumboxes' as well as tiffins for picnics, trips out of any kind, packed lunches etc. so this book is fabulous inspiration for us. we also dont have sandwhiches so again loving all the alternative ideas in this book. well laid out, colour pages are the inspiration, black and white pages are the how-to. top book!!
on 10 September 2015
Delicious recipes, have made many and really want to make more at the weekend! Very good tips on how to keep things crisp, fresh and appealing. Best out of the three bento box recipe books I have.