on 16 August 2016
Nice if you have the time a patience.
on 10 February 2016
This book is fantasic. My husband and I were fed up of eating the same lunches most days and wanted something healthy but different to eat each day. This book has loads of ideas for bento style lunches which are quick and easy to make. We have been using it for several weeks and we feel healthier and much more satisfied! Highly recommended!
review image review image review image
on 15 April 2011
My worklocation changed 3 times in a year and each time the canteen got worse! After much grumbling, I decided to do somthng about it -and discovered bento's - Japans version of a packed lunch- but better. Discovered the just bento web site which helps you make excellent bento's in 20 minutes in the morning. It's not easy - but nor is it dificult and I'm always looking forward to my lunch - and this book is a great way to get onboard.Simple thoughtfull ,orgnised and above all tasty (its even healthy too!), So don't miss out, get a copy and start bentoing.
on 1 October 2013
This book is a must-buy if you are considering trying to make your own bento. The instructions are clear and well written and the pictures are mouthwatering!

This book would be worth it for the recipes and lovely presentation pictures alone - but there's so much more packed in here! What I especially love about this book is the practical advice from the author on how to make things easy. She includes helpful shopping lists of things both Japanese and not-so-Japanese to stock up on and things that can be prepared in advance and frozen/defrosted/nuked in the microwave as needed. The author also gives great advice on substitute ingredients if you can't get hold of the real deal. Additionally there is a little guide on different types of bento boxes and how to care for the more expensive types.

There are plenty of clear pictures demonstrating the techniques described and I thought the book was well laid out and presented. It's fantastic value for how much you will get out of this book, especially if like me you are new to making bento lunches. The author's blog (justbento.com) is a wonderful additional resource that's well worth checking out too.
on 8 April 2013
I absolutely love this book! The recipes are scrummy, the ingredients are easily obtainable (especially online), I just wish the Author could be my personal chef :)
on 11 March 2012
This is my first book about bento boxes, or Japanese cuisine at all, and I'm really impressed by the recipes which are nice and easy to follow, do not (for the most part) require too many, or too obscure, ingredients, and offer some new flavours to make healthy, simple lunches more interesting and fun. I'm trying lots and have had considerable success with a family of fussy eaters, so thanks Makiko Itoh ^-^
on 26 November 2012
This book it is great. A good selection of lunch suggestions, with easy to make recipes.
This will take longer than making a sandwich, but that is part of the point. We aim to have a bento lunch once a week and everyone always comments when I do.
The book generally suggests making lunch in the morning but I don't have time so generally make it the night before but it has all been good. I do have a bento box from Japan but often pack the lunch into Tupperware depending on what it is.
I have tried quite a few of the lunches now, and my presentation is not always as good, straightening prawns takes a long time and did not really work out for me, but they have all tasted great and are healthy as well. Each dish is very quick and easy but the idea is you have three or four things in each lunch.
If you like this book also check out the justbento website, it is the same author and has hundreds of bento lunch suggestions.
I have a couple of other bento lunch books but this is my favourite. If you want lovely lunches and are happy to spend a little time to have them you will not regret this book,
on 2 January 2012
It's a very well detailed book, with a lot of tips on how to solve any hurdle you might fall into while cooking. I follow the author's blog and every time I tried one of her recipes I've always been delighted. This is not necessarily a book on Japanese-only cooking, it's about packing your take-away homecooked meal in a sensible way with a Japanese slant.
on 27 December 2010
It's been a while now since, fallen in love with bentos, I've been reading blogs on cooking the Japanese style and combine the dishes to create bentos, and by far, Makiko's blog it's the best. The book is just the climax of such work. Although this is my first purchased book on the matter, I'm an avid reader and owner of cookery books, and I can say that Makiko is a generous writer. The book is packed with tips on how to best organise your time and your pantry to create healthy and tasty meals, and there is enough information to get acquainted (and not discouraged) with some typical Japanese ingredients. I can't wait to start cooking!
on 27 February 2014
I bought this to bring some inspiration to my lunches and also to help me and my husband eat healthier, all those shop bought sandwiches are expensive and not all that good for you! This book is easy to understand, has been written with healthy in mine andhas everything you need to know to get started (especially for a novice like me); Makiko's time lines are fantastic for helping to speed up making everything first thing in the morning. She also has some really handy preparation tips too, those are invaluable for time saving.

I would recommend this to anyone looking to spice up their lunchtime, I personally cannot wait for lunch now I know I have something delicious and beautiful waiting for me! It takes some practice to be super speedy at making everything, but once you have done it a few times you get a great routine going.