on 23 September 2017
I really enjoy Lee Childs creation. I have paperback versions of the books and these were my first experience of the stories. I am so glad of that because for some reason there a few paragraphs in the kindle version of this book which are duplicated. If I have just finished reading a paragraph I don't want to read the same paragraph a second or third time. The editor really should have checked this a bit more carefully.
Despite these glitches, the book is pretty good- Neagley is quite cool. It is always fun to see Reacher interact with his colleagues from the good ole days.
3 people found this helpful
on 27 October 2016
I started reading the Jack Reacher books from book one, with this being my fifth book. This is another book to keep you on the edge of your seat, although it took a little longer to get into this book as the start of the book was a bit of a change of pace.
In the previous books Reacher had been forced into a number of predicaments, where in this book I couldn't help but feel he would have been tempted to have walked away as opposed to getting dragged into the drama that quickly ensued.
However, once I was half way through the book, just like all the previous ones it was difficult to put down. I have to confess that I miss some of the relationships created in the earlier books though, and after the bonds that he had created, it feels a bit distant that he rarely if ever gives them a second thought.
That's a minor point though. The Reacher character is brilliant and the writing is so fluid and excellently paced that it is highly recommended!
4 people found this helpful
on 31 March 2016
I enjoyed this book quite a lot. You know what to expect from a Jack Reacher book, and this certainly delivers. The stakes are high, there is a woman who needs jacks help, and wants to share his bed, and a need for Jack to get things done. One welcome addition to proceedings is a new female charactor who is competent, dangerous, and not falling out of her pants at Reacher. I felt that she added a lot to the story and definately hope that she turns up again. Just because of her addition to the formula i liked this book more than some, however the conclusion felt rushed to me and was over before you expected with no real payoff.
Overall this is a good addition to the series and will entertain for an afternoon or two
2 people found this helpful
on 3 November 2015
Another story about an American soldier? Not even close! I join the ranks of readers who have fallen in love a little with Jack Reacher, although he would infuriate me in life with his OCD character traits, he charms me on the page where I can more fully appreciate the blazing intelligence of his analytical thought processes. I was sceptical about reading Lee Childs books but browsed the opening chapter of Mr B's copy of Killing Floor and wasn't able to put it down. I was aware I needed to pace myself but have read nearly all of them so far (not in order) and enjoyed every one. Devoured is probably more apt. I am in awe of Lee Child's skill to take you back and forth in Jack Reachers life, revealing just a little bit more in each new book. I may never forgive the film industry for casting Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher in the films - but that's the beauty of books. Read Bad Luck and Trouble, it will take you places you didn't know you wanted to go to.
3 people found this helpful
on 19 February 2017
I read this book after reading nearly all of the Jack Reacher books first and I was getting a bit tired of the indestructible Mr. Reacher, so this was refreshing. It wasn't as far-fetched as some of his later escapades and had more humility which didn't dilute the excitement of the storyline. The tantalising brush with a normal relationship and the the prospect of putting roots down gave it a more grounded appeal. Obviously, having read the following books, it is clear that doesn't happen. I've still to read his latest: Night School, so I'm hoping this might have the excitement of his previous assignments with a good measure of the real world in there too.
on 15 August 2017
Well it starts quite well, but by about a third in Lee seems to have lost ideas. I've struggled to halfway, but have started to skim-read to lessen the boredom! I'm stuck in Montana with some crazy sect, that Lee seems to think is more militarily powerful than the US Marine Corps, get a life Lee!
Will I finish it? The answer to that question is more exciting than the book. If I could go back in time, I would choose a different book like the phone directory!
on 8 April 2018
While on an extended holiday I started reading the Jack Reacher books. I am now close to finishing book 7. I have found all so far to be a great read and very difficult to put down. The stories, apart from following the same "drifter" background, are very different. I had read many Andy Mcnab & Chris Ryan books & wanted a change from the repetitive story lines. I enjoyed reading the aforementioned but started to find they followed a similar plot. I am pleased that there are 22 books in the Jack Reacher set so they should keep me going for a little while yet.
on 20 November 2017
Die Trying lacked a little of the consistency of Killing Floor. Die Trying starts off at a decent pace, then slows up through the muddle section only to pick up pace in the latter stages. Lee Child is an excellent author who writes excellent dialogue and Die Trying has a very plausible storyline. Would I recommend this book? Absolutely.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 13 December 2014
Lee Child has done something that only a very few writers have done for me in the past - grabbed me from chapter 1, book 1. At the time of reviewing this I'm up to book 7, I have pre-bought up to book 9 and am preparing to buy all of the rest.

The character of Jack Reacher is wonderful (please, please don't think Tom Cruise, whilst good, it's not the character in the books. The idea of an anti-hero type of lead character is not new, but, what Lee Child has done is to, by his style of writing, look deep within the depths of Reacher's soul to 'understand' the reasons for his actions. But Child goes beyond even that. There are times when he describes minor events that include new characters unconnected with the storyline in infinite detail so that the reader is drawn right into the situation. Sometimes this covers pages of the book but the reader wants, no, needs to know what's coming next as the detail of the writing is such that you feel you are a part of the book yourself. This takes considerable writing skill.

One more thing - Jack Reacher's no angel when it comes to women, but there's no gratuitous sex written in unlike so many other authors these days. Child writes thrillers not sex magazines!

10 stars out of 5 and very highly recommended
on 2 December 2017
When characters are introduced in a book, particularly if they are ‘decent’ people, one wants their story to be sewn up too. This didn’t happen in Tripwire. There is the usual boring love interest with Jodie but I wanted to know what happened to Marilyn & Chester Stone,their story was never brought to a satisfactory conclusion. Not a great book. Why am I reading these? I am searching for a good crime writer having exhausted all the good ones I know.