VINE VOICEon 5 July 2015
If you're learning tarot you may want something closer to a tutorial guide than this book. However the best use of this instructional book is for reference. It's laid out very well with clear examples of spreads and readings. Also included is a full run down of the 78 cards including reversed meanings and meanings of court cards if they relate to a separate person.

It offers a good level of detail that I should imagine both beginner and professional can make use of. I have found myself referencing it quite a bit while studying the cards. One criticism I have of it is the explanations of card meanings can be a bit too jarring for my liking (perhaps a bit too pessimistic for more negative card meanings). To make it even better it could have done with more reading examples using a variety of spreads. However as it is I would recommend it to all tarot readers. If you're completely new to tarot a better book would be "Learning The Tarot" as it's set out like lessons and well researched and written.
on 17 June 1998
I have been on a continual journey over the past 10 years to find tarot guides that will help me understand readings I complete for myself and for other people. I find this book helpful and extremely "user-friendly". While many times I have been frustrated with vague interpretations, this book never disappoints me.
on 25 April 2012
Arrived in good time. A good beginners guide to reading Tarot cards.
I found it interesting & helpful. Would recommend it to anyone starting out.
on 6 November 1998
The title of this lovely volume says it all; Tarot, Plain and Simple. The book itself is, the use and knowledge gained are far more than the innoncence of the title would suggest. Mr. Louis is able to the put the cards in your hands, and to work immediately. There is much on the history of the images, the development of the cards, and other esoteric Tarot lore that Louis omits (wisely, in my opinion). This little book is an introduction, not a thesis. Robin Wood's illustrations and Louis' own charm and humor make this a "user friendly" volume, which is fun to read, re-read, and refer too again and again. Easy, yet challenging, Tarot: Plain and Simple will likely become a classic addition to the field.
on 16 March 2000
Easy to understand an invaluable tool to learning the Tarot. I am a beginner and I have done a few readings for myself using this book to help me and the cards have come up with some startling, but good advice. I shall certainly carry on using it.
on 27 July 1998
This is as clear and simple a presentation of the Tarot as you are ever likely to find. The author has done his homework and presents the cards in a delightful style that is truly informative. Must reading for any serious student of the Tarot. A true gem of a book.
on 1 March 2005
This book is clear, easy to understand and helps readers to learn the principal meanings of the cards quickly. It is logical to navigate around, which is really important when reading for others and self as a novice. Most importantly the writer does not lose sight of the fact that whilst meanings as stated are a guideline, interpretation is down to the individual and like a good cookery book, it is a prompt for your own vision and imagery, use your intuition to add further personal interpretations. I really like the fact that it also gives information on linkages with astrology and numerology. I have found this has given further credibility when giving readings as the linkages hold true and give food for further thought. This book is the one I use first and foremost having studied Tarot for many years.
on 30 June 1998
I have read lots of books on Tarot and this is one of the best. It truly does make the Tarot "plain and simple." The author's style is wonderfully readable and his interpretations of the cards are right on target. It's actually kind of spooky to see how closely his remarks fit the situation for which you spread the cards.
on 22 February 2012
A friend ended up with 2 copies of this book and gave one to me to and it was the best present I ever got.
Most guide books on Tarot are very basic, general and vague which leads to making broad generalisations in readings.
THIS book is very detailed, with a brilliant amount of detail and it's quickly become an essential tool in my readings. The word lists associated with each card, occupations and common phrases are incredibly helpful in guiding a reader to some very specific information for the sitter. When I scan my eyes over the word lists, some words just jump out at me off the page, and I'm able to construct entire sentences to share with my sitter directly from them. The method used by the author to create these lists took over 2 years of daily dedication and it shows. He has created a truly unique guide to understanding and working with the Tarot and I've no doubt I will be buying further copies over the years as mine grows more battered and dog-eared with each passing day. Worth every penny! =)
on 3 September 2009
If you're a beginner or an experienced tarot reader you'll find this book really helpful as it is what it says in the cover "Plain and Simple". With this book you don't really need to consult any other book for clarification or simply to get ideas and meanings. Nevertheless, as I said i the title, THIS IS ONLY A DICTIONARY, if you really want to make sense of the Tarot, communicate with your unconscious (and universal unconscious) and therefore understand THYSELF, you'd need a proper guide and inspiration. I would recommend to anyone interested in the Tarot as what it is, a tool of self-discovery (and not divination), to read Jodorowsky's "The Way of Tarot". He inspired me to start in this beautiful art. The tarot, together with Jodorowsky's own Psychomagic and Psychogenealogy disciples, helped me to realise the value of life and the creative way of self-healing.