on 30 July 1999
This book is fantastic for my whole family. Most of us now have computers, printers, and software capable of turning out beautiful documents -- we just don't know design principles. That's where this book comes in. Now my husband's Government presentations and reports will look better. My son's school papers will look like they should receive an "A." And my marketing proposals, sales presentations, and in-house marketing collateral will look more professional. Thanks for the CRAP! (you have to read the book to get it)
on 6 December 1997
After plodding through many snobbish and boring books on graphic design, I stumbled onto this little gem at a computer show a few years ago. I have treasured it ever since. It is simply the most clear and concise primer on graphic design ever written. Robin Williams' writing style is witty and fun, yet incredibly informative. Her design principles are priceless. They are easy to understand and apply. And, they are easy to remember, due to their "unfortunate acronym." How about a new and expanded version, Robin?
on 22 May 1999
I'm just one of the many folks who agree, this is an oustanding book!! As a beginning designer/desktop publisher, this book is a wonderful resource. I read it cover to cover and learned so much!! I really look at everything I see in print, with a much more knowledgeable eye. Designs that I've been using to build my portfolio are more "amateurish" than I realized and I'll be redesigning them with tips from Robin Williams. If you're designing ANYTHING to be printed, you need this book!!!
on 23 October 2012
Whilst this book won't turn you into a design guru overnight it does exactly what it sets out to, introducing non-designers to the basic techniques of good visual design. It is well-written, easy to understand and contains a plethora of examples. In my line of work I largely set text according to an existing template but occasionally come across non-standard features over which I have to make design decisions, and this book has been very helpful in establishing how I approach the problem.
on 6 August 1998
This book contains clear examples of fundamental design principles that everyone who has ever put pen to paper (or mouse to mousepad) should know. In an entertaining and accessible style, the author patiently explains the tenets of graphic design that are so often a mystery to desktop publishers--when we se a printed page, we know what we like, but not why. After reading this book, you will know why, and that will give you the power to create engaging, appealing printed documents.
on 18 May 1999
I deserve a commission for all the copies of this book I have sold! I use this book as a text book in my classes for teachers on graphic design and doing desktop publishing with kids. I have several teachers in my school trained to teach kids the basics of graphic design - Robin Williams style! I have bought several copies myself because I keep lending it to people and I don't get it back. This has been one of the most useful texts I have come accross for classroom use!
on 11 September 2011
It took me a day to read this book and I've already used the info to greatly improve the leaflets I design for a local community group. If you're a volunteer or a small business this book can really help how you present yourself or your organisation. Probably not a key book if you're looking to be a professional designer but if, like me, you're just trying to improve the quality of adverts, newsletters, reports, CVs, leaflets etc, then this is definitely the book for you.
on 30 July 1998
Although,I'm not a graphics designer, I needed to gain some insight into that field in order to create professional, sophisticated, pleasant, and pleasing web pages for myself and my company. A poor presentation is worse than no presentation at all. This little book solved the problem with humor and understanding. The examples are clear, the writing concise, and the lessons easily learned. Many thanks to Robin Williams who is obviously a wonderful teacher.
on 15 April 2003
This book is invaluable to the novice designer. It sets out the do's and dont's of design. Robin Williams gives clear illustrations throughout her book.
Excellent value.
on 12 March 2010
I have no design knowledge and found this excellent. Lots of examples so you can see exactly what the author means