on 8 June 1999
The Macintosh Bible series has been excellent, but this edition is wonderful. So much so that I had to buy a 2nd copy; it's heavy to take to work every day and then home every night. But the detail is what even experienced Mac users need to deal with almost every relevant topic, day after day.
Virtually all facets of Macintosh operation are covered sufficiently to overcome some of the (alas) now-expected roadblocks even in my favorite computers; for example, Ms. Aker and I agree that when it comes to providing a trustworthy, loyal, helpful, accurate, obedient, friendly, and kind installer for a new operating system, the folks at Apple Computer have, as is the nicest way to put it, have made progress, but there's lots of room for growth. She ably steers you around the icebergs.
The book is quite thorough for people using up to Mac OS 8.0 or 8.1; also, there's more on OS 8.5 than I'd have expected, given the publication date. Many thanks to Apple for assisting this, providing enough material on the newer OS to let her deal effectively with it.
This book is not only elegant in terms of describing the use of an excellent computer; it is also written beautifully. If the author had shown it to our former College English Composition Board, she'd have scored at an enviable level. Making technically complex procedures easy is very difficult, but she succeeds admirably.
The jokes, brief historical anecdotes, and other details make it a pleasure to read and use. It sets a standard, in my opinion, not only for the present present but for the future.
on 1 February 1999
I have been using macs for about ten years and had read earlier editions of the mac bible and loved them. But after becoming an old mac hand (ignorance is bliss!) I had stopped feeling the need for newer editions of the mac bible. But last week my mother bought her first ever computer, a really sweet G3 Powerbook, and in preparation for flying across the country to tutor her I went shopping for some reference books to give us a hand. I bought the Mac Bible, the Mac OS 8.5 Black Book, and the Microsoft Office 98 Visual Basic Book. The Mac Bible is far and away the most helpful of the bunch. Easiest to read, most in depth and with valuable opinions, real life applications and a sense of humor. In fact I decided to return the Black Book and buy a Mac Bible for myself to take home.
on 17 January 1999
A great reference and entertaining read for any Mac user, from beginner to advanced. I'm a voracious reader of books about Mac hardware and software, and I still picked up some great tips and insights. Best of all, the book is written in a lively, friendly style. Highly recommended.
on 6 January 1999
Whether you're a beginner or an expert, you're sure to find dozens of useful tips and insights. It's also a pleasure to read. Literate, up to date, and user-friendly. Only one caveat: it was written when OS 8.5 was still in beta, so in those sections your mileage may vary.
on 8 March 1999