Customer reviews

on 18 March 2013
I am very glad I bought this book. It gives good descriptions of how to build various instruments with lots of photo illustrations of the processes involved. After buying this book, I built a cigar box ukulele, and will be building other instruments including a stomp box with confidence. Good details given re how to wire up your instrument to make it electric and enable you to plug the instrument in to a guitar amp. All round excellent book and money well spent.
One person found this helpful
on 15 July 2012
Of all of the books that I've read about the topic (quite a few), this one is by far the best. If you want to begin making your own instruments, then this is by far the best place to start. I bought it so I could learn how to make a decent cigar box guitar and the book explains how to do that with easy to follow instructions and detailed colour photographs. It also instructs you on how to make many other instruments, from a simple stomp box to a make shift double bass. Great book.
3 people found this helpful
on 5 June 2013
This book is well thought out with great illustrations everything you need to start building your own classic home made instruments. The quality of your build is up to you but even the most basic will sound good because it is different and unique.
A great read as well as very practical with many references and links to a world of music that anyone can attain to in a few hours with a bit of ingenuity.
The full scale fret board pages that can be photocopied for setting out your guitar neck are particularly helpful.
2 people found this helpful
on 29 March 2013
So glad I bought this book it is packed from cover to cover with inspiration. Since I received it a couple of weeks ago I have been collecting the component parts for my first cigar box guitar and can't wait to get started. I'm going to start with a 3 string fretless version as these seem to be the way to go for beginners like me with little or zero woodwork skills. Plenty of how to's on building and playing these instruments on You Tube which in turn led me to a whole community of Cigar Box Guitar makers and players. INSPIRATIONAL.
on 9 February 2013
I bought this book for my husband as he wants to have a go at making a cigar box guitar. Although it contains measurements and plans for various types of guitar, the one he really wants to make appears to have a mistake on an important measurement. However, saying that, there is a lot of information in the book, with some really good ideas. It's just a shame that it isn't specific enough for my husbands requirements.
|33 Comments|Report abuse
on 2 February 2013
If you purchase and use this book in the spirit that Mike Orr wrote it, to enjoy both creating and playing cheap / enjoyable musical instruments then your money will be well spent. You don't have to be a expert luthier, or one at all, to benefit from this book, its all very simple, very well explained and user friendly etc.

It proves you can have as much fun from instruments made from off cuts and junk as you can from a £1,000 plus one from a shop (albeit the sound will not be as good!!!).

It's worth remembering, many of the original great `blues' players started on similar instruments. I already made a good selection of cbg's and been thrilled with them all.
One person found this helpful
on 24 April 2017
Very useful book for anyone who likes to make guitars of the"cigar box" type.
on 29 June 2017
A really great book. I made a tenor cigar box uke from the plans in this book. Brilliant fun!
on 27 April 2017
Excellent, just the book to get you started.
on 17 February 2013
Mike Orr has produced a book which, if nothing else, radiates his enthusiasm for his subject. As he quotes - "the first rule of home-made instruments is that there are no rules" - but he gives a lot of useful info and ideas to stimulate the imagination.