on 11 October 2013
Perhaps I was expecting too much from this book....
As an older person I have had experience over the years in a number of hobby and craft activities. I bought this book expecting to find new challenges and a new craft hobby to experiment with. Instead I found it a little too simplistic, all right for a 12 year old boy to amuse himself for an hour or two but not for a grown man. Toy row boats? I don't think so. It was also a little too Americanized for my taste. Baseball bats could I suppose but substituted for cricket bats and stumps, but then why bother making them in the first place? A lot of the items required the use of other tools from the workshop such as chisels, saws and power tools. I thought the whole idea of the pastime was to make things with just a pocket knife.
The rooster, sorry, cockerel, was the most challenging thing in the book, and it is quite hard to make, but the rest of the stuff is very bland and wouldn't tax the most in-experienced practical person for more than a few minutes. Name tags, knitting needles and fridge magnets are not what I call the pinnacle of craft work. I was expecting more tutorials on carving figurines, animals or faces, and maybe instructions on using the other tools found on a Swiss Army Knife, but they were not even mentioned. The only carving in the book was that of an owl and was to be blunt, quite poor - not something I would put on my desk or mantelpiece. It won't put me off whittling as a hobby, but I will be looking for something a little more testing.
Sorry but my copy of the book is already on ebay.
on 21 April 2012
If you are interested in starting whittling or are looking for something different to create then this is an ideal little book. It starts from the basics of knife shapening and maintance, to the types of cutting stokes to use. It gives a list of woods that the author has used and recommends.
Each project has clear photos of how to complete each stage as well as written captions describing what is happening.
Another book to consider by the same author is (The little book of whittling)
 Little Book of Whittling: Passing Time on the Trail, on the Porch, and Under the Stars
on 5 January 2013
I found it hard to find a book in stock about whittling. This was for an 11 yr old boy who has just started to try and whittle when out on walks, it has techniques as well as ideas of things to make - some complex, others such as a simple spoon. He was delighted with it, and the penknife which went with it.
on 7 March 2014
I bought this as a present and thought my son would love it. it's actually a little dated and boring.. Wouldn't buy it again as was going to buy it for my nephews.... but won't now after seeing it. disappointing.
on 27 April 2014
I bought this as I was thinking of starting whittling. There is some useful info on what type of knife is recommended and how to sharpen etc. However many of the projects in the book were not to my liking, but perhaps that's just me. There were however a few projects that I look forward to trying and so the book is worth it just for those. Overall I am glad I purchased this book as as a beginner it has been very informative. Would recommend.
on 11 January 2013
This is a great activity to do which dads will love to take in charge, Many crafty activities are a bit wimpy in my opinion.
My husband carried on whittling after my son had moved on!
Very manageable projects with the satisfaction of producing things that will last. A real pleasure of feeling a natural material of substance
on 15 January 2013
I was expecting to receive a big book, but it's actually like A5! lol
Anyway it's a big book cause it has big projects! I already had a book from Chris Lubkemann (Tree Craft, which BTW is amazing and I made some of the projects and I have the material for a couple more) and this one didn't disappoint me.
Great book.
on 15 March 2014
I think this book is somewhat repetitive. Not only that,the copy I received has a lot of blank pages in it where the printing went hay wire I guess. Not having a printer I wasn't able to print a return label so its stuck with me worst luck. I cant do a lot of the projects due to the missing pages but even if I could there a bit on the naff side. I think I could have found something better than this. Its a bit on the boring side.
on 9 June 2014
I did a one hours course on whittling and making little elves back in October and when I got home I bought myself a whittling knife! This knife has sat on the shelf since as I did not know what to whittle! Until my better half got me this brilliant book! Its very well written and the pictures are very helpful! I am making the weather station first I think, that just tickled me - the instructions are hilarious!
If you want a hobby to pass the time - get this book! Its a true masterpiece of easy crafting!
on 28 December 2012
We bought this as a present for Grandad from the children and he loved this book. There is a super range of projects and loads of advice and ideas. The visuals are clear and the layout is helpful.