Customer reviews

on 19 December 2011
This is a clear and very well illustrated guide to using one of the most dangerous (yet readily available) tools on sale today. I would strongly recommend it to anyone who is planning to buy (or already has) a chainsaw, or will be operating one. This book would also serve as a useful preparation guide for anyone considering obtaining chainsaw qualifications in the UK (e.g. CS30 & CS31, or LANTRA).

The guide gives advice on selecting an appropriate saw for your needs, as well as the relevant PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) you should buy before using your saw. It then covers a range of "projects" from basic cutting of firewood through to felling large trees, plus important guidance on maintenance and servicing of chainsaws. The style is knowledgeable without being patronising - the authors appear to be husband and wife, and both have many years of chainsaw experience.

The only slight downside is that the book is clearly written by Americans for the US market, and so some of the suggested accessories/suppliers aren't readily accessible to those in the UK. However, the advice, techniques and tips are all applicable, and the chainsaws used in the illustrations - mainly (but not exclusively) Husqvarna and Stihl - are widely available in the UK. (In any case, the principles of safe use and maintenance of the saw are essentially the same, whatever the make.)

Considering the costs (both financial and otherwise) of chainsaw-related accidents, this book is money well spent. I wish I'd bought it before I got my CS30 & CS31 qualifications, rather than after!
on 3 January 2016
I've been doing a bit of "weekend" chainsawing for a while now. Nothing too spectacular, just cutting logs for firewood and small fallen trees. I did a two day course before I started chainsawing and bought all the safety gear so I'm not a complete novice. I bought this book and I've found it an excellent chainsawing book. I've learnt a great deal. It's very informative and easy to read. There are lots of useful photographs and diagrams and useful projects. I wholeheartedly recommend this book if you are a novice chainsawer or even if you have been chainsawing for a while.
on 15 January 2012
This book is a definite must have if you are even interested in the idea of operating a chainsaw. I have operated lots of power tools and am always wary of being safe, especially with thing like bandsaws, circular saws and especially chainsaws. I have no previous experience operating a chainsaw and having purchased one through amazon after a lot of advice from professionals. I still felt the need to get myself as much information as possible and came across this book. It covers all aspects without being tedious, or patronising. it shows everything from safety, setting up right through to felling and even covers how to cut planks ad trim them. I haven't read it all yet, but will be as I know it will serve me well.
I showed it to my brother yesterday who has used chainsaws for nearly as long as I can remember ( not quite as far back as school ), and he was extremely impressed. I had to say I would loan it to him when I had chance to study it enough to feel safe with my new saw. All I can really say is it is worth every penny. Mine was supposed to be second hand, but I don't think the previous owner had even looked at it. their loss, my gain. It is well illustrated with mostly photos and some drawings. It is both suitable for novices and professionals alike. My bit of advice to add to this book is get it and read it. You won't be disappointed.
on 17 July 2017
Excellent book. Highly recommended
on 14 September 2017
Great book - Starts off with a lot on safety but done in an intereasting way and well safety is the most important thing with a chain saw. Enjoying reading the rest.
on 20 March 2017
very good book easy to read and helpful
on 6 December 2015
10/10
on 22 December 2016
great
on 27 March 2017
very useful
on 8 August 2010
As a new chainsaw user I was trying to find something to keep me right - and this book certainly did the job. Although I think I'm fairly safety conscious I like advice - but find a lot of it quite a drag to get through. Not this one - safety as an interesting and sensible section. Even got the other half to read it, now she understands why she got shouted at as she wandered about trying to help. Lots of other good info in the book for everyday use - and goes on to more advanced features which whet the appetite, but probably never be used (bit of a dreamer at times)