on 5 May 2008
This highly emotive and readable perspective of an American journalist is creating a huge movement of people and organisations who have said "Enough is enough" to litigation and other constraints on unstructured outdoor free play for children of all ages. The book cites the need for action to be taken by everyone to consider the environment in which we live and how it impacts on our health. For anyone interested in children, the outdoors, green spaces, wilderness areas, green design of urban places, etc. and who wants an introduction to a rapidly expanding movement in North America, then buy this book. The chapter which discusses spirituality and the nature is sensitively written and gives multi-faith examples of what religious groups are doing to address similar concerns. Be warned teachers! You may find yourself questioning the value of homework and after school activity clubs! Oooh! The up-dated edition has just been published. Buy a copy now or borrow from your local library!
on 5 July 2017
I usually read things fairly quickly but I've been dipping in and out of this one - still think it's great and worth a read for all parents/carers/educators as it's full of interesting information and the message is so, so important.
on 25 July 2015
Great book. I'm never excited by the prospect of sitting down to read a book, it's never interested me whatsoever. This book however, was very interesting and controversial about the state of our educational programmes worldwide, and our parenting techniques as well. Great read, great buy.
on 11 August 2015
I like the message of this book, and interesting to hear about some research that confirms what I intuitively feel already. However, the book does still read a bit like a rant of an old man and goes on a bit. I still would definitely recommend this read, if you feel like you want some inspiration for getting outdoors.
on 25 August 2016
Fantastic book, great insight into the relationship between nature and children
on 27 June 2015
Required reading for anyone with a child. The basic premise is that kids need to be outdoors in unstructured play for their own mental health. Louv (and I) fear that society is turning its back on such activities in favor of "safe" indoor play with bad consequences for the kids.
on 17 January 2017
An inspiring read for anyone who worries about the future of our children and their disconnection with nature. A must read for parents and educators alike
on 30 November 2016
Excellent
on 25 June 2014
This is such an amazing book, and it has inspired my work for university. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it
on 7 November 2015
Great book for Forest school and any parent.