on 20 August 2008
I am wondering if the other reviewer has read the same book? It is slow, unwitting and tells nothing new; created from conjecture and Gardiner's imagination. There is no evidence for what he asserts and he doesn't back up his statements up with any hard facts. There is no new discovery and in fact appears to be a half finished book spread out to fill the pages. The constant leaps of faith reveal a distinct lack of knowledge of the subject matter. The further in you get the more bored you become, a really difficult book to finish.
on 3 March 2007
This book is not my first foray into the world of the Ark, nor the Shroud. In fact I have been reading the subject matter for some years and so was interested in what Gardiner had to say, having read and fully approved of much of his work in Gnosis. I really didn't know what to expect and was surprised. The author claims he was not interested in writing about the relics and was thrown into the world of the Ark and Shroud by a moment of pure insight whilst wandering around a cathedral. This is a moment of insight we should all be grateful for, because it catapulted Gardiner into a realm of secret societies and intrigue that makes the fictional Da Vinci Code look like a childs story lol.

From the moment I began reading this book to the last page I was gripped as if it were a work of fiction itself. The author crafts a story so profound and of deep spiritual and psychological worth that I am only sorry this book will probably not make it into the mainstream mind.

I thoroughly recommend this book, and even if you may disagree with certain parts because of your current belief system, it will be an invaluable book to learn from and enjoyable to read - much like Dr John Jay Harper stated - a real life Indiana Jones tale. The truth is that Gardiner is setting himself up because there is so much belief out there about the Ark and Shroud that he simply cannot please everybody. Nevertheless, he is to be admired for his stance and for his openness and frankness in revealing the story as he unravels it. I respect this author for his boldness and truth seeking and I will certainly get the DVD as well.
on 4 May 2010
A strange and dark book. I found the ideas/discoveries rather uncomfortable to cope with. Struggled to get through it.