Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 August 2013
I first read this book in the 70s and have read it most years since. So much of it was way before it's time. I don't even mean it's all true. Only that it demanded that I think. The bit at the end about life extension bored me a bit but 90% of it is as relevent today as when it was written. This is my 9th or 10th copy. Love it.
on 8 April 2017
I love this book so much. Have bought it multiple times. Loving the new Hilaritas edition with the cover by Amoeba Designs and introducing by KLF biographer John Higgs - which brings this warm, erudite book up to date. This book deals with 'meta-programming'/retraining your mind (and in the process, the author almost loses his), mixing in history, theology, science and biography. The stuff on perception forming reality seems highly relevant today. Who makes the grass green indeed?
on 4 February 2012
Loved this book. Irreverent, funny scientific and a good read. A book that stays in your head for a long time and you come back to to remember how it was said or what exactly was said. RAW has huge culture and curiosity and asks the questions, without pushing any conclusions or grand theories, he just gets that niggling question/doubt into your head in his humorous way and leaves you to it. Great!
on 5 June 2017
Brilliant, insightful, clever, maybe a bit far out, but where's the fun otherwise.
on 5 March 2016
Robert Anton Wilson has genuinely changed the way that I think and I'm very happy to see a new edition of this book with an intro from the also rather wonderful John Higgs. Read it and start the journey ;)
on 21 January 1999
...depending on who you are. If you are intelligent, curious, and possessed of a sense of humor, this book will do you great good: it's a very gently humorous and extremely HUMANE examination of All The Weird Things we've been living with these past few hundred years (or more), as filtered through one Robert Anton Wilson.
However... if you respond to the book by slamming it closed and calling R.A.Wilson a liar/fraud/false prophet/agent of Satan/etc., etc., then you have completely missed the point. Wilson is not trying to convert anyone to his specific point of view, but is trying to awaken people to the possibility that their own point of view may simply be very, very small and incomplete. It's big universe out there, and to hide from it in a "dogmatic reality-tunnel" (his words) is, quite simply, counterproductive and stupid. It does not make SENSE to ignore the possibilities, or to smother them with regurgitations of unexamined prejudices.
Wilson is doing something very daring here: he is trying to write a book which is NOT meant to be read by the "converted", but by everyone, really. G'wan, you Bible-pounders -- give it a shot. You could be right and you could be wrong. It's a big universe.
22 Comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 January 2010
I found this book to be very "illuminating" dealing with a veriety of subjects I thought I knew about but soon realised that infact I knew nothing at all about. The books acts as a great introduction to the work of both Timothy Leary and Aleister Crowley to name but a few. The many diffrent themes this book contines are all managed well, offering theories as well as other books and key figures to continue your own reserch on human conciousness. These themes are brought together both brilliantly and powerfully with an ending leaving you with pleanty to ponder regards this joureny we call life.
All in all a brilliant book!"
on 7 May 2004
This book was the first of Wilsons that I read. My reasons.... Unknown, an urge; a recommedation; unknown forces, who knows. However this has changed my life; Caused me much confusion of thought and much angry. Perhaps this is the Chapel Perilious that is refered to by Wilson and I am still on my journey through it, or am I?
I strongly recommend this, Sex, Drugs and Magic and Cosmic Trigger 2. So far this book has turned me onto the works of Aleister Crowley, Dion Fortune and Israel Regardie and a lot more.
on 5 November 1998
This is a fantastic diatribe into the unknown! I first read this book almost 20 years ago and have gone through it 23 times since. Wilson was an editor at Playboy years back and has lived in Dublin. He is extremely intelligent and witty, but he can scare the bejesus out of you!
Just keep an eye out for how many times you run across the number 23 (it is the most frequent number that comes up in lotteries, for one thing). It will astound you. He is correct about "the web" and how we are never more removed than by a factor of five from all the people in the world. Yeah, it's freaky, but it stimulates the old brain cells. Order it today from Amazon because it is a good value and you will never regret it. Just don't get too freaked out like me and wind up taking Paxil to calm you down!
on 5 June 2000
The first cosmic trigger is in my opinion the finest non text-book on Magick/fortean subjects.I reread it every year and am fascinated every time.If you want an intro into 'occultism' buy this book.