on 19 December 2003
As a Bible for children, this is written by Murray Watts with clarity and insight, with dialogue that makes the stories understandable, from the child's early years of reading up until they are ready for their first complete Bible.
The text will be appreciated for many years of youth, and the illustrations will be loved for a lifetime.
I bought this book for the artwork by Helen Cann, which is magnificent. As an artist/illustrator, I am awed by the work that has gone into this volume, and find a great affinity with her style. The emotion she evokes in her beautiful faces is remarkable, and she uses rich colors and graceful patterns; the perspectives are also of interest, some panoramic, seen from above, and the illustration of Jonah is pictured as a circle, as if he were caught in a whorl. Helen loves the ocean, and paints her seas with passion, and her depictions of Jesus are exquisite. My favorite picture is of Jesus and John the Baptist on page 226.
The satin-finish pages are thick, and the font size is large and easy on the eyes. The layout is exceptional with each page edged with a lovely design, and the illustrations are too numerous to count. The final two pages have a marvelous map of "The Lands of the Bible". This book is a tremendous value, and one that will be treasured by all ages.
0Comment| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 February 2009
I bought this Childrens Bible for a Christening gift - the parents were very particular about content - it ticked ALL the boxes! Strongly recommended. I will buy this again for future gifts.
on 29 February 2012
I wanted a bible for my 8 year old daughter. I foound that they were either first bibles so too simplistic or then slightly too grown up in language for her to enjoy the stories without constant explanation. The Lion Bible for Children is perfect. The illustrations and details are impeccable and it is beautifully written. It feels a very special book to be treasured and would definately recommend it as a gift or something special for your child.
on 8 March 2010
My great nephew is being christened and my son has been asked to be god father. As he has never done this before, I suggested a bible in story form as my children had them when they were christened and of all the presents that they had, they used this the most. This one has lovely pictures and would be a great bedtime read from very young.
on 3 May 2010
I bought this bible for my 2 grandchildren aged 4 and 6 years. They like the illustrations and the content is about right. They will enjoy it more as they get older. A good bible to read to children.
on 21 June 2013
I bought two copies as gifts for my baby grandsons. I chose this version for several reasons. On was that the illustrations are exquisite and I particularly like the decorations on the edge of every page. At not quite six months old my grandsons were captivated by the colours. Just as important was the standard of writing, which is extremely high. My final reason for this choice was that the dedications include 'the children of Caithness'. Since my grandsons are Scottish I was delighted to find a children's bible dedicated to Scottish children.
on 19 June 2010
This was a present for a baby who is still too young to understand the stories. My choice was influenced by reading other reviews although i did go to my local bookshop to check for myself. Although this is a childs book I felt it would still be appropriate for a wide age range.
on 15 July 2010
Bought this for our grandson, but quickly realised we needed one too! The stunning artwork and storyline beckons all ages into the world of the Bible in a child-like but not childish fashion.
on 19 November 2011
The lion bible is very well presented for children. The bible was well packaged and delivery was swift. My wife and I bought this for a grandchild,and are sure the bible will lay a firm foundation for him in his early years.
on 22 August 2013
Our children have had a number of children's bibles and this one is by far the best for ages 7+. Its chronological approach and story style gives children a good biblical foundation that is both well written and engaging. The illustrations are also very well done and creative. Over all.... I'm a big fan of this one and highly recommend it.