on 8 November 2009
I was given a version of this book when i was 10. I drew every page in the book again and again. I am now working as professional artist and still use and tell other people about the lessons taught in this book.
on 16 March 2012
You can easily underestimate this book especially if you are already professional artist, but don't! characters are in old cartoon style but it's absolutely necessary to get familiar with them before trying develop any cartoon character on your own. The book is marvelous!
on 13 March 2012
This is a wonderful book for any aspiring animator or cartoonist. Back to basics and the build up of characters, all well explained by someone at the top of their tree.
on 15 October 1999
Great book. Lot's of really usefull walk cycles that can be applied to all kinds of different characters. An absolute must for an animator. In my opinion it ranks up there with "The Illusion of Life".
on 25 October 2001
I have been building characters in 3D Max for some time, but they lack real character in their animation and design. This book, designed for 2D artists has been invaluable in aiding me to get the shape and character of my 3D characters correct, and to make the animation believable.
on 18 November 2011
This was a book that I had hunted to find again in book shops wherever I was for the last fifteen to twenty years.

I was given my Uncle's copy of an earlier edition of one of the books, that form a part of this book, when I was in High School. I wanted to learn to draw cartoons similar to the ones I saw in 'Disney' movies, 'Bugs Bunny', 'Tom and Jerry' and all the other classic cartoons I loved. I had looked at other books on cartooning but had been unimpressed as they simply showed you how to draw cartoons for comic strips, or for newspapers, which was not what I was looking for. So I was overjoyed to finally have a book that showed me how to draw the kinds of cartoons I wanted to draw. Unfortunately I lost this initial book only a few years afterwards much to my frustration.

Imagine my delight when I finally rediscovered it - but hugely expanded - here on Amazon. I highly recommend this book to anyone who, like myself, is looking to draw similarly to 'Disney', and all the classic cartoons. The author of the book was himself, one of the main animators on Disney film's such as 'Fantasia', 'Pinnochio' and 'Bambi' as well as working on 'Tex Avery' cartoons as well as 'The Flintstones'. (Prepare to meet some old friends while leafing through it's pages.)

While it may not be as in depth as other books on the subject, it is a great place to start. Also from what I understand many of the animators of 'Disney' movies have it in their libraries and still refer to it from time to time.
on 31 December 2004
Just to get a bit of contrast in views I decided to write a review for why I didn't like this book.
This book seemed to be very popular and everyone who was into animation had a copy, so I decided to buy it. I had already got 'The Animators Survival Guide' by Richard Williams which I thought was brilliant, and I expected the same high quality (if not more) of Cartoon Animation. I was hugely disappointed (so much that I returned it the same day). Comparing it to 'Survival Guide' it's very short and doesn't cover subjects as fully.
If you want a book that goes really in depth and has lots of information and drawings to help you out, this is not it. Get 'The Animators Survival Guide' instead.
on 23 February 2015
I have bought so many many books on drawing and how to draw, and have become so knowledgeable on the subject I have considered a career in art teaching! Finally I stumbled upon this book and it's what I wanted. Something of a workbook, entirely practically based, giving the reader plenty of scope to experiment with an ultimate goal of being able to draw from the imagination. I guess it teaches Disney style cartoons and expressions, but that is not an issue with me as I like that style. Once you have got a grounding in that you can always proceed to develop your own style.
on 30 September 2015
I picked this up a while back and was delighted I did. This book is highly informative and valuable to anyone interested in drawing. Preston Blair writes in a friendly, unpretentious way, and his drawings are pretty good, too.
The beginner will learn the basics step by step and rapidly improve his or her skill. As for the experienced, they will polish off their style by referring to the book whenever necessary.
An educational and entertaining book for all. Ace!
on 24 December 2016
I love this book.
Useful for all ages and abilities.
I borrowed this book before finally buying it. So glad I did.

Delivery of the book was prompt.