on 18 March 2017
An amazing book.
If you're into mythology and other cultures. This is up your street.
on 31 July 2017
A solid research book. Interesting, surprising in places. Essential reading for heroic writers.
on 22 August 2017
Good condition. The writing style is a bit laborious, and the structure is difficult to follow at times without the use of breaking up chapters with topics/themes and headings. But Joseph Campbell's writing style is both academic and poetic. A brilliant mind and spirit.
on 11 September 2014
Excellent
on 11 July 2009
This is a classic for writers and storytellers and I'm ashamed to say I've only just read it at the age of 56. However, like many profound books, it's a book that means much more when one's ready for it. I'm not sure if I'd read it younger, or at a calm period in my life, that it would have had such an impact, although it's wonderfully researched and beautifully written and would be illuminating on a purely academic level. I read it after going through one of those periods where life throws up one thing after another until it seems more than just coincidence - like some sort of extreme test of one's strength. It helped me to assimilate the experience - recognising the hero's journey in my own, with its entry into dark places, its ordeals, and the eventual emergence with invisible treasure. Looking for the treasure helped me to make meaning from what I had experienced and focus on the positive instead of the negative. Since then I have looked up the myths and started reading some of the books he uses as sources, which is also proving fascinating. It's a book I will read again and again because I know I will find deeper meanings in it with each reading, and it has also given me an insight into the themes of my own life and writing, and sources for stories to tell.
on 16 September 2009
I actually read this book many years ago, gave a copy to my wonderful son before he went to live in Finland. This particular purchase was sent directly to my very well-read 18-year old nephew/Godson who recently departed to spend 6 months on a Kibbutz in Israel. I think it is a very apt gift and will be re-read throughout life.
on 2 September 2013
I was expecting a difficult to follow book but JC writes in a plain simple and easily understandable way and frankly I could hardly put the book down being so enthralled at the content. A great informative read.
on 9 August 2006
The key to understanding this classic book, and getting the most from it, is to realise that it's actually all about YOU. Campbell wrote it for YOU. Just think about the title for a start. YOU are the hero and your hero's journey is all about finding your inner life, your divine spark, and being engulfed and re-born out of it. This is what all the world's great hero myths were really talking about, symbolically, and Campbell brilliantly draws together the universal themes and parallels running through all the world's mystical and religious traditions, all of which were concerned (when understood metaphorically instead of literally) with this marvellous "death and resurrection" of the human psyche - from human animal to divine incarnation. It's a heroic deed which we all have the potential to achieve, and this book vibrantly and beautifully recollects many anicent stories that have drawn Mankind's imagination toward this very real transformation, through the use of the oldest and best means at our disposal - symbolic storytelling. This book is not just for the student or teacher of mythology or comparative religion, it's for everyone on the spiritual path. In fact, this book speaks directly to you wherever you are right now in life, whether on that path or not. Simply brilliant, and possibly the most important book of the 20th century. Even the full five star rating is not enough!
44 Comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 May 2017
Product and delivery as expected. Very good service. Recommend
on 11 April 2017
Will read soon, many thanks