Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 April 2001
Good project management practice doesn't change with the advent of new technologies. Therefore, many of the fundamental principles underlying this book should be second nature to any project manager with more than a couple of years experience. Where the book scores is in 2 areas:
1. Setting these principles in the context of the new kind of projects which the web makes possible. This benefits project managers (like me!) who have managed software developments before but need a view of how to apply their experience.
2. Introducing good project management principles to people who have arrived at the 'manage a website development' role by other routes.
Overall, a good summary of how to approach the job. But it does worry me slightly that some people think the book is a blinding revelation of how to manage a project - how have they been doing the job before?
on 14 April 2001
This was a good purchase: He has launched Channel5.com with a TV producers background, and it is good to see how he translated his skills across. Also, it is UK-focused and very much this-is-what-I-did. Lovely. Not too long either, very detailed, lots of lists and bullets - "scannable".
on 20 January 2001
Having just reached the final stages as a contractor on a mammoth commerical site I can echo Ashley's recommendations in this excellent book.
Whether you are a designer, a manager, 'The Client' or a programmer, please buy this book, READ IT and save everyone a lot of hassle.
Set limits on the client - project manage properly - be real about the whole project and document thoroughly. I was the designer on our project and was shunted all over the shop. With Ashley's book in my hand I would have been able to tell the managers, programmers and clients where to go. Very, very much an indispensible read. The Dilbert cartoons are spot on too!
on 20 April 2003
I read this book and was dissappointed, mainly because I was expecting some revelation, or some way of approach that would really gel. In fact it wasn't very revealling, I can't say I learned a great deal but thats because I've learned by experience myself. I think there is a book out there on this subject that has yet to be written, the web link mentioned doesn't exist anymore. I would say if you are completely new to web project management then this book is worth reading. If you've already being doing it for a number of years then this book should not tell you anything new, if it does then it was worth buying.
on 1 November 2000
This book is compulsory for ANYONE involved in ANY phase of commercial website development from initial strategy to marketing. Along with David Siegel's publications, Web Project Management is one of the defining volumes of the digital era. I hope to see it appear as a standard text for many university courses.
on 6 September 2010
This is a good reference book to have to hand and I went back to it quiet a few times. But it's no page turner! Partner it with something like Steve Krug's 'Dont Make Me Think'.
on 3 November 2000
Rarely do management books break the mould in the way Mr. Friedlein's excellent project management tool does. Having dredged through numerous so-called 'expert' works, it's a genuine pleasure to come across a book that cuts the fluff and tells you what you need to know.