on 14 September 2011
This book is written by a Benedictine monk who has been a Director of Oblates for 30 years. The book - well-written and wryly funny in places - shows how applicable to today's society Benedict's Rule is, and it shows how by becoming Oblates any of us can alter our own lives, and the lives of the various communities we are part of. It shows that the rule is not just for Monks and Nuns, but that it can be modified and adapted to work perfectly well for those of us unable to live the monastic life.I thoroughly enjoyed this book (part of the "Voice from the Monestary" series)and warmly recommend it to anyone interested in monasticism and/or Christian spirituality. It is full of practical suggestions and invaluable insights.
13 people found this helpful
on 10 December 2012
An excellent introduction to someone wanting to know more about what oblates are, and what becoming an oblate might mean.
This is not a "how to do it" book but a gentle exploration aimed at those considering a deeper relationship with a monastic order, whilst still living a full life outside of the monastery.
8 people found this helpful
on 10 August 2015
This book could also be called "How to fit your life around God". It is humorous, thought-provoking and concise - in fact, I found it hard to put down! For anyone like me, who has a busy life "outside", it is the ideal handbook on all sorts of things, from praying constantly to bringing me closer to my professed Sisters at the monastery where I am training to be an Oblate. I would definitely recommend it to any person thinking of becoming an Oblate!
One person found this helpful
on 15 October 2013
I like the author's approach and how he explains what oblation is regarding St Benedicts Rule versus the harsh Rule of the Master. It also illustrates a practical, spiritual and timeless element making it appealing to all denominations across the world from all walks of life.

Definitely a highly recommended read for those exploring oblation due to its all-encompassing, informative and inspiring content.
2 people found this helpful
on 14 September 2014
It seems to comprehensively answer the question it poses.
on 21 October 2013
This book gives me all I require. Not many people know what it takes to be an Oblate and this book shares the experience
One person found this helpful
on 21 March 2009
The writer gives the insights of a Benedictine monk who observes the oblates from his perspective as an oblate master. Originally the Rule of St Benedict allowed for oblates (young boys) to be offered by their parents to a monastery; today's oblates are adult males and females who are attached to a specific Benedictine house. They share the Benedictine way (prayer, work, conversion of life) outside the monastery walls, and support and are supported by their community. Br Benet's warm account shows how the oblate's life enriches both the oblate and the community, giving practical examples which help us to understand why, in an age when vocations to the enclosed religious life have fallen, the oblate community is growing and thriving. A recommended read for existing oblates, those who are considering the oblate way of life, and anyone who wishes to draw upon the riches of St Benedict's Rule, spirituality and practical wisdom in his or her own life.
48 people found this helpful