on 22 May 2001
I love this book! Simple and beautiful, it is a balm for the soul. I read it while sipping a cup of tea and then again in bed and again and again since. There are so many inspirational ideas to choose from and there is a feeling of having gone back to basic comfort and real enjoyment of the things with which we choose to surround ourselves.
It has gone of my list of books to give the people I love.
on 9 May 2005
If you are tired of following every style fashion (you know: this spring you have to do fuchsia and spring green, next autumn everything has to turn brown and spring 2006 your interior should be yellow) this is a really appetising book for getting new ideas. Perhaps some of the info is like "duh.. I already knew that!" But on the other hand, sometimes you need to be reminded of the obvious. Or sometimes you need to get a bit of assurance, that your way of looking at things is actually o.k. This book does it both.
Jane Cumberbatch gives good information and a "good feel". The style is really pure and simple. Fuss free and logical. You can throw out fashion dictates and follow your own ideas. It made a lot of sense to me and me and my family are enjoying our "new house" tremendously
on 28 August 2005
I have had this book for many years and the styles don't date at all.
It uses a lot of white and light colours in its interia. It has a mixure of old and new furniture and styles.
There is a section on how to cover your chairs.
on 9 November 2009
Not sure why previous reviewers have raved about this book to the extent that they have. If I'd seen it in a shop and had a chance to flick through it, I wouldn't have wasted my money as it basically states the obvious. Very disappointing. Also, if you're expecting a hard-back, as I was from the description ('hardcover'), you won't be happy as it's actually a card-back.
on 4 June 2008
Absolutely one of the best interior books I own, they should seriously consider making this one drool proof!
Not only is it filled with the most beautiful photographs, you can also learn how to make loose chair covers, a roman blind, a drawstring bag, preserves and a few more homely things. I paid £1.80 for my copy from an amazon seller .. NEW! - needless to say I am absolutely chuffed that I got such a bargain. This will be on the bedside table for many nights to come and on the coffee table the rest of the time!